Last of the chanties... for now.

There's a well-hidden patch of nice chanties that fruits almost every summer. It's along a damp rain runoff area in oak/ash/hickory woods. Around here the chanties fruited 2-3 weeks ago. It's been dry now for almost 2 weeks, so new stuff has been on the decline. One nice thing about chanterelles is that they often remain intact in-situ for weeks... especially when the weather is dry.

I got the urge to try a recipe for the first time --see "Joe's Book...." thread in Cooking section-- and needed about a half pound or so of fresh chanties. My stash-patch did not disappoint. I ended up with well over a half pound.

post-20-0-11848900-1406036973_thumb.jpg

The really lucky thing here was that these were almost completely insect-free. They probably started popping at least 2 weeks ago.

Those are nice Dave W. They seem lighter in color than the ones I find here in eastern N.C., also the ones I find seem to only stay fresh for only a few days to a week. In wet weather they seem to grow till they split and then deteriorate or in dry weather the edges dry and turn brown. Just wondering how many subspecies of cibarius there could be? By the way, I almost can't go into the woods right now without finding chanterelles. The weather has been perfect here for ducks and mushroom hunters.

My first shot at chants will be Friday when I head to NE Minnesota. I found several nice patches last year the first week of August. It has been even cooler this year. So, I am crossing my fingers and keeping my eyes open.

John, be careful; try to avoid tripping over those chanterelles.

The very light color is probably due to age/weather. These are Cantharellus lateritius, the Smooth Chanterelle. Actually, recent research has revealed several DNA distinct species of NA cibarius types.

I'll be headed north in a couple weeks. First to Maine for the North Eastern Mycological Federation foray. Then up to Acadia National Park for a few days. Finally, a few days in the Green Mountains of Vermont... to check my chantie patches :-)

Good luck to you Dave at the foray! Have a great trip. I will post some shots from the Lobster Mushroom Jamboree and my trip the following week around the north shore of Lake Superior when I return. I will be off line for about 10 days. If nothing else, I should have a lot of chaga shots.