Same but different

These were from today at Lake George NY. I think they are both growing on Green Ash logs. Are they both the same? They look like different mushrooms to me Thanks.

Sorry, I should have posted this in the ID forum

post-716-0-85943200-1405519153_thumb.jpg

post-716-0-99374900-1405519267_thumb.jpg

I would bet these are all the same species. The larger paler ones are just older versions.

Lanapelee, do you have a photo of the undersides of these? They look like Pleurotus citrinopileatus, the Golden/Yellow Oyster Mushroom. This is a Eurasian species. Although it is cultivated here, to my knowledge it does not appear naturally in North America. Is this an observation of wild mushrooms? Maybe someone keeps an inoculated log out in the woods? Very interesting. Nice photos.

Chrysomphalina chrysophylla or Gerronema strombodes also look a bit like these, but are not as fleshy as these appear to be.

yes I did get a pic of the underside, I doubt that these were cultured by someone, but not 100% Sure, the picture is of the smaller one, did go out with a local today and found about 2 lbs. of chanterelles and a few black trumpets

post-716-0-09656100-1405538426_thumb.jpg

post-716-0-47874600-1405538464_thumb.jpg

I think the chances are good these yellow mushrooms on the log (lead post on this thread) are Pleurotus citrinopileatus. If some may be collected and dehydrated, I think someone may express interest in studying the material.

You may send them to me, lenapelee. Maybe I can find someone interested in studying them? Send me a Personal Message and I'll give you my mailing address. Also, if you e-mail me the three photos of the yellow oysters, I'll make a post on Mushroom Observer... or you may join MO and make the post yourself. I may be off-base here, but I think this is an interesting find, possibly (one of) the first of its type in NA.

• 2 weeks later...

The chainsaw marks tell me it was an attempt at cultivation. Are there any apartments/condos close by? Any housing development at all? Why would someone cut down, cut up, and leave perfect 4 foot sections of ash or any hardwood to rot? Maybe it didn't produce quickly enough and was discarded, perhaps this is someone's grow site. Does look like Yellow Oyster though.

No signs of plugs on the logs? With that much rot, it might be hard to tell.