Oysters are here

Very nice Dave!

If you don't mind, I'll piggyback on your post. I had the chance and my knee is good enough to walk my area. The poplar that produced well last Dec had one decent oyster cluster yesterday. Not as young as yours, but ok and enough for a meal. You were correct. It's been 9 days since the 3-4 inch rain. After finding this cluster, I'm in the back yard and three of my shiitake logs were covered. Small shiitake, but around 20.

post-664-0-52894400-1401023667_thumb.jpg

post-664-0-49016700-1401023806_thumb.jpg

No spore print on this one, but caught my eye because it was growing on mostly decomposed oak or poplar.

post-664-0-10080800-1401023666_thumb.jpg

post-664-0-72194400-1401023664_thumb.jpg

Actually, there were a few beetles just beginning to infiltrate those Oysters. I convinced them to move on.

I can't quite see the gill attachment for that grayish wood-inhabitor. But I think it may be an example of Megacollybia rodmani, a common springtime mushroom.

It does fit the description Dave. I'm not going to eat, but do see Megacollybia rodmani is edible, but maybe not prized.

Tried another park yesterday and found a better cluster of oysters. They had some Beetles, but take it that as long as the mushroom is in decent shape the fungi beetles won't harm the edibility.

Pluteus cervinus has gills that start out white but become pink as the spores mature. The gills of P. cervinus are generally more closely spaced than M. rodmani. The stem of M. rodmani is more fibrous than P. cervinis. But the most reliable field ID difference is the gill attachment... completely free for Pluteus, attached for Megacollybia. In older manuals, M. rodmani is listed under the name Tricholomopsis platyphyllum.

As long as the bugs have not infested an Oyster and bored lots of holes leaving behind a lot of sawdust-looking residue, and the bugs are removed from the mushroom, then I think the mushroom is okay to prepare to eat.

I dont concern myself with the little black beetles in oysters. I find that if the mushroom is fresh ie not past its best before date that the beetles dont really do much damage and if they have done some damage then I likely wouldnt want to be eating that mushroom anyways. They can be sort of flicked out with a pocket knife pretty quickly.

Nice to see a mushroom named after Rodman. The Bulls wouldnt have been so successful without him

Yeah Dufferin, but you'd think the Megacollybia should at least have a few piercings.

I agree about the beetles. But one should also check the fleshy parts of Oysters for worm holes and related damage. I just used the ones seen at the top of this thread. I ended up using about 75% of what is pictured. I made my favorite Oyster Mushroom dish, Oyster Mushroom and Scallop Soup... a milk-based soup.