microscopic spore-viewing

I just purchased an Amscope B-100ms. Under $200. Binocular view, 400x setting, 1000x setting. I haven't tried the 1000x setting yet, but the 400x view is nice. Somebody recommended this scope on Mushroom Observer. I don't have much of a background in biology, except for what I have learned about mushrooms.

The B-100ms was an upgrade for me. I had been using an old beat-up 400x second hand scope. Even with something like this you can get a good idea about spore size/shape.

If you buy a scope from Amscope, it get delivered un-assembled. I found someone who services microscopes to assemble mine. Also, you would want to have a micrometer installed in the scope, for taking measurements. It's a separate purchase, extra 10 or 20 dollars, tricky to install.

Here's a link for Amscope. It's a west coast operation. So if you call them on the phone, take into consideration the time zone.

http://www.amscope.com/?gclid=CML5ruzNjbwCFQPNOgodSlMAyg