expecting morels soon, still stumped

Looks like conditions are perfect around here and Id bet some black morels are popping. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find any. The last 2 years I bet I have put 100 miles in poplar forest alone. Thinking about changing up my strategy and sticking to lowlands and valleys. Seems like the other morels I find prefer wash outs and are partial to dead trees.

Other than that I am actually seeing some signs of spring. Mud and wild onions mostly. I guess when I start seeing some may apples I can expect some morels for the table.

I have just started to see a couple of reports from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky. It should not be too long for you. I have a good six weeks before I will even begin to look.

Cool weather is hanging on here in NE PA. Still a few patches of snow/ice in the woods. I think the black morels --first to appear each year-- are about two weeks away. We're getting good rainfall, and nights have not been extremely cold lately. If we get lucky and get a few days of sunny weather with temps 65-75F, then it could be good. Last year it stayed chilly until late April, and the blacks never did appear in decent numbers. In 2012 it got way too warm and dry too early. I found a few blacks 3/23/12, my earliest ever by almost two weeks; and then, very few afterward. Morels can seem very finicky. The time-window is only 2-3 weeks for a given species, and the wrong weather can keep the window closed.

Which is what's happening here with that window. Cold and wet has been replaced by hot and dry. Long range forecasts of rain turn to partly cloudy as the days go by. The hunt goes on. Breakfast is over and it's time to try some new areas. Good luck to all.

I had the wrong weather conditions where I collect in Manitoba last year. I did not see my first morel until around June 7. They had no rain until early June. When the soil temperature hit 50 degrees, it was bone dry. Of my top 25 spots for blacks, only four had morels. As bad as it was, I did way better than anyone that I know of in the area.

That's encouraging to this newcomer. It was still a good day. Asked and got permission from a large local landowner (I know. How large is he?) On my initial scout I found last years Leucidum and lots of fallen timber to check later. It puts me back on the property I hunted as a boy and youth. That in itself is pleasing. Now--for that Monday rain.