What type of mushrooms are these?

snowdaytoday

Sorry for the low quality pics. Any way, I'm new to mycology and don't know much about mushhrooms. I went picking yesterday in several rural fields, and finally a cow pasture that I came across. I found an abundance of these mushrooms. I live in the in a gulf coast state in the US They have white to yellowish white caps, long slender stems and grey to brownish grey gills. I pinched them and all bruised a dark blue color. As I said I am new to mycology and know very little about shrooms. My question is, what species mushrooms and are they edible? Also, black spore prints.

post-621-0-64270400-1382303427_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-52639600-1382303436_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-65730600-1382303441_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-31348800-1382303446_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-84805000-1382303451_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-51016900-1382303467_thumb.jpg

I don't know what those mushrooms are, but they are similar in appearance and habitat to types that are recognized as psychoactive mushrooms. If those are the types of mushrooms that you are interested in, this is not the forum for you. You can easily find more suitable forums by googling magic mushrooms or something similar.

Psychoactive simply means hallucinigenic or magic mushrooms the kids eat for kicks and play with destiny if they mess up, not sure of your location to even try to ID, can you post that information as well as what type of habitat, grass, woods etc? It would be extremely helpful Snowdaytoday!

Psychoactive simply means hallucinigenic or magic mushrooms the kids eat for kicks and play with destiny if they mess up, not sure of your location to even try to ID, can you post that information as well as what type of habitat, grass, woods etc? It would be extremely helpful Snowdaytoday!

I live in the deep south on the gulf coast. These mushrooms were found in a cow pasture growing directly from or in grass around cow dung.

I live in the deep south on the gulf coast. These mushrooms were found in a cow pasture growing directly from or in grass around cow dung.

LOL sorry missed that part of your post <smacks head> where located, they very well could be magic, i don't mess with them and can't recommend either. The bluing of the stem can be indicative of "magic" but once again this is not the forum if that is your gaol, try shroomery.org if that is the case.

Photos are not well enough focused for providing much more of a suggestion than has already been provided. Some species of Panaeolus stain blue. these types have black spore print. Psilocybe species have dark purple brown to blackish purple spore prints. Print in the photo is taken on white background, so determining true color is difficult at best.

Snowday, if your expectation is that someone on this board --or anyone else on any other board-- will provide a definite ID to species based upon a few poorly focused photos, then you need to adjust your expectation.

Photos are not well enough focused for providing much more of a suggestion than has already been provided. Some species of Panaeolus stain blue. these types have black spore print. Psilocybe species have dark purple brown to blackish purple spore prints. Print in the photo is taken on white background, so determining true color is difficult at best.

Snowday, if your expectation is that someone on this board --or anyone else on any other board-- will provide a definite ID to species based upon a few poorly focused photos, then you need to adjust your expectation.

Well you don't have to give a positive ID, just a guess of what it appears to be to you.

Snowday, my main question to you is this, you have filled a dehydrator with a mushroom you can't even identify and are asking for help with an ID. Why on earth would you do that not knowing if what you have might be deadly poisonous? You already know what kind of mushrooms grow on the Gulf coast in cow pastures and cow dung, bruise blue and as was pointed out already, this is not the forum for you if that is all you want to do. The people here on this forum are serious about mycology and are not here to learn about magic mushrooms so if that is your interest, go start a thread on the Shroomery. This best be the last post of this kind from you. Also, if you don't know what something is or means, look it up! That's what search engines are for. If you have a serious mycological question that we can help with that does not pertain to magic mushrooms then by all means, post away. Your innocent sounding posts don't fool me. Kapeesh?

Snowday, my main question to you is this, you have filled a dehydrator with a mushroom you can't even identify and are asking for help with an ID. Why on earth would you do that not knowing if what you have might be deadly poisonous? You already know what kind of mushrooms grow on the Gulf coast in cow pastures and cow dung, bruise blue and as was pointed out already, this is not the forum for you if that is all you want to do. The people here on this forum are serious about mycology and are not here to learn about magic mushrooms so if that is your interest, go start a thread on the Shroomery. This best be the last post of this kind from you. Also, if you don't know what something is or means, look it up! That's what search engines are for. If you have a serious mycological question that we can help with that does not pertain to magic mushrooms then by all means, post away. Your innocent sounding posts don't fool me. Kapeesh?

Wow, a bit harsh. I had heard of magic mushrooms before but these were not the types I was looking for, I was looking for any edible types that I could include in various meals and thought just about all mushrooms were safe. In the past week I have visited many forums on mycology and have discovered that what I did was very dangerous and that certainly not all mushrooms are safe. Though many here have given me a harsh welcome to the forum due to my lack of knowledge, I will stick around in hopes of encountering some my helpful members.

Last question, what type of SAFE edible mushroom species grow in the south? I know I could look it up but would like first hand expert opinions.

Sheesh.

Last question, what type of SAFE edible mushroom species grow in the

south? I know I could look it up but would like first hand expert

opinions.

That's not what this board is for. This board is to help people who go out, photograph mushrooms, take spore prints, pore through books or search engines and are serious about learning to ID the mushrooms for themselves.

It is not for people to be spoon fed knowledge that they are unwilling to pursue on their own.

This is the book I started with. It is highly recommended. If you really want to learn, this will get you off to a flying start.

http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Mushrooms-America-Field---kitchen/dp/0292720807/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382652473&sr=1-2&keywords=wild+edible+mushrooms

There is a book on Florida mushrooms called Common Florida Mushrooms by James Kimbrough. I'd pick up a copy of it. It has kind of horrible photos but it's all we have. I too live in FL. It depends on what part of FL. If you live up around Tallahassee, there are chanterelles and all kinds of good edibles. Not so much in South FL where I live. I'm in Sarasota and although there are tons of very cool mushrooms here, we don't have a whole lot of edibles although we do have some. Lactarius indigo, some chanterelles, shaggy manes, Lactarius hygrophoroides, Ganoderma lucidum, Armillaria tabescens...check out mushroomexpert.com to look all these up.

I didn't mean to be harsh, it sounded like you were leading us on to spoon feed you to find magic mushrooms and this is not the forum for that. You will not find edible mushrooms growing in cow pastures in cow poop! Look around oak trees, pines, pine scrub etc. There are lots of cool mushrooms found here that you won't find anywhere else in the country, so this is a unique area, just not many edibles when you get this far south. I don't know where you are though. I hope you'll give us a try but try yourself to do some homework on your own so you can ask sensible and intelligent questions that we hopefully will be better equipped to answer for you.

There is a book on Florida mushrooms called Common Florida Mushrooms by James Kimbrough. I'd pick up a copy of it. It has kind of horrible photos but it's all we have. I too live in FL. It depends on what part of FL. If you live up around Tallahassee, there are chanterelles and all kinds of good edibles. Not so much in South FL where I live. I'm in Sarasota and although there are tons of very cool mushrooms here, we don't have a whole lot of edibles although we do have some. Lactarius indigo, some chanterelles, shaggy manes, Lactarius hygrophoroides, Ganoderma lucidum, Armillaria tabescens...check out mushroomexpert.com to look all these up.

I didn't mean to be harsh, it sounded like you were leading us on to spoon feed you to find magic mushrooms and this is not the forum for that. You will not find edible mushrooms growing in cow pastures in cow poop! Look around oak trees, pines, pine scrub etc. There are lots of cool mushrooms found here that you won't find anywhere else in the country, so this is a unique area, just not many edibles when you get this far south. I don't know where you are though. I hope you'll give us a try but try yourself to do some homework on your own so you can ask sensible and intelligent questions that we hopefully will be better equipped to answer for you.

Thanks! I live just outside of Gainesville. I will certainly be browsing Amazon.com for the next few days checking out the books that you guys recommended. You guys do seem very knowledgeable, so I hope to learn a great deal here! :)

You will actually see different mushrooms being that much farther north than I am. You have different trees and you have many more edibles than I have down here. There is a mushroom group in Gainesville. Also take a look at mushroom observer and do a search for florida mushrooms.