Some more pics from a newbie

Had some more favorite mushroom pictures sitting on my desktop with my best guesses as to ID.

post-591-0-57076900-1380923547_thumb.jpg

Amanita Caesarea

post-591-0-02151900-1380923641_thumb.jpg

Boletus Bicolor?

post-591-0-97201300-1380923728_thumb.jpg

Ganoderma Curtisii

post-591-0-65369700-1380923795_thumb.jpg

Stereum Ostrea

post-591-0-61782800-1380923845_thumb.jpg

Cantharellus Cibarius

post-591-0-64526400-1380924914_thumb.jpg

Laccarai Ochrepurpurea

post-591-0-55537300-1380925133_thumb.jpg

Lactarius Indigo

post-591-0-38887000-1380925358_thumb.jpg

Chlorophyllum molybdites

post-591-0-01245400-1380925608_thumb.jpg

Have no idea

post-591-0-01407300-1380935291_thumb.jpg

Boletus Frostii

Great pictures again. What kind of camera do you use?

Mushroom expert has a little on mycotrophs:

key to 25 mushroom eating mushrooms

My guess is that would be the one on this Suilus page under the last picture. Hypocemes completus. Some one else would no better than me. All I can say is don't touch them. The smell is usually horrible.

My pic really does look like the one you linked. Thanks for the reference to that page. I love that site. So funny how the author describes the original mushroom as the victim!

Thanks for the comment on my pictures. I use a Leica D-Lux-5 that I bought from a coworker of my husband. It is a great little camera. However, for every good picture I take there is usually a whole bunch of bad photos.

One of the main difficulties is the low light in woods, here in Georgia, the woods can get very dark with a very thick canopy of trees crowding out available light. My little camera struggles and the on camera flash is inadequate. I am investigating an external flash but not sure I'd like the look of the photos.

I'm in the market for a camera myself. Low light usually is my biggest enemy and I was hoping to get a sony 4/3 mirror less model, but was introduced to a Nikon cool pix with a 42x optical zoom. It was taking incredible pics for a reasonable camera. I still believe you need 100 pictures for every good one and 1000 for every great one though.

So true about the photos, I take a ton.

What I also love about my camera, is that it came with a leather case with long strap. It is so easy to slip the camera in and snaps shut quickly. I have a handless leash that I belt around my waist for my dog. I manage to hike for miles with my hands free thanks to that leather case and the dog leash.

Those are really nice photos! Color is vivid and appears to be accurate.

I agree about the "?" on the "Boletus bicolor." Stalk looks a bit odd. B. sensibilis and B. pseudosensibilis seem like possibilities. Staining patterns on cut flesh and/or damaged pores is often helpful with these types.

"Amanita caesarea" is now a name applied to a European mushroom. I think the one seen here is an example of Amanita jacksonii, a North American caesar that looks a lot like A. caesarea. There are a few reddish/orangish NA caesars.

I'm wondering about the "Cantharellus cibarius." Looks a bit like a Hygrocybe to me. View of the underside would be helpful.

The bolete does not look like one of the bicolor types. Maybe Boletus sensibilis...? There are other possibilities. On Mushroom Observer there have been posts of dark-staining bicolor look-alikes that nobody felt confident about IDing. Here are a couple that I had posted.

http://mushroomobserver.org/138791?q=1XnTw

http://mushroomobserver.org/138794?q=1XnTw

The second one looks a bit like your bolete, jd. IDing the red and yellow Boletus species can get pretty tricky.

As for the Chanterelle... what an interesting type of mushroom! It does look like a Cantharellus species to me, but different from any of the types I find here in PA. There's someone who is currently doing research on the genus Cantharellus. If you could dehydrate a couple specimens, he may be interested. I'll send you a PM with contact info.

Dave,

I appreciate you taking out the time to help an eager novice. It is so kind of you to share your expertise.

Unfortunately, those Chanterelles fruited in July and the last one I saw was September. Here in Georgia they were everywhere this season, we had a ton of rain. The appearance of all of these chanterelles type mushrooms was what got me interested in mushrooms. I'd be happy to dehydrate some as soon as they appear again. They appear on a trail very near to my house so I am sure I will have an opportunity to see them again. You can pm me.

Here's some more pics of a different type of Chanterelle (I think) that got me excited about mushrooms. They were scattered along this trail along with the others I posted after a period of heavy rain.

post-591-0-82291200-1381266674_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-80284600-1381266748_thumb.jpg

Southern NA gets some chanterelle types which are different fom what I see up here in PA. These other pics you just posted also make me wonder... Hygrocybe? Hygrophoropsis?

Hygrophoroposis aurantiaca is the classic "False Chanterelle." I don't have a lot of confidence in proposing this ID, but the last pic looks o me like H. aurantiaca should at least be considered.

Here's another species name to consider fo your bolete, Boletus pallidoroseus. Not certain if the link actuall shows one of these. But it looks like a good proposal to me.

http://mushroomobserver.org/147594?q=1Y5WZ