It's officially summer.

Summer time chanterelle season is in full swing in South Louisiana !!!!

Wishing you guys happy pickens !!!

First picture is of a leaf with the spore print, of that chanterelle, sitting on my cane knife. I had never seen this before. Pretty cool!! Just thought I'd share. Very beautiful specimens picked this weekend!! Finally picked enough to incorporate my shrimp stock into a chanty soup. I'll do my best to put a recipe together to share in the "Cooking with mushrooms" topic.

post-976-0-91179800-1468203013_thumb.jpg

post-976-0-99921300-1468203036_thumb.jpg

post-976-0-86747100-1468203068_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing seems to be fruiting in large quantity around here, likely due to fairly dry to extremely dry conditions (locally variable due to highly localized thunderstorms). but I have been finding a nice assortment of edibles.... a handful of Smooth Chanterelles the other day, a few Classic Yellows today, a few Sweetbread Mushrooms (Clitopilus prunulus), Oysters (Pleurtotus pulmonarius, a summer species), Lactarius volemus (two mushrooms), a nice patch of Gyroporus castaneus (Chestnut Bolete). Today I got kinda lucky and hit an area that must've got a good dousing last weekend. Nice fruiting of Suillus spraguei (formerly S. pictus, the Painted Bolete), some Xanthoconium affine, Butyriboletus brunneus, Baorangia bicolor (new name for Boletus bicolor), a couple Agaricus campestris.

Chestnut Boletes.

post-20-0-12031900-1468476497_thumb.jpg

Voluminous Milkies

post-20-0-94044200-1468476643_thumb.jpg

Classic Yellow Chanterelles.

post-20-0-10168700-1468476759_thumb.jpg

Painted Boletes.

post-20-0-15999200-1468476887_thumb.jpg

And lots of interesting inedible types. Can you find the penny on this Berkeley's Polypore? This giant isn't even full-grown!

post-20-0-94822200-1468476975_thumb.jpg

Beautiful harvest Dave!

Which type of trees do you find those milkies around in your area? The videos I've watched show lots of oak tree leaf litter but doesn't specify where he finds them or what trees are associated with his finds.

Beautiful Painted Boletes!! Would that species be a Eastern only mushroom?

Holy cow that's a giant polypore !!

Nice finds Dave.

Mine is not as picturesque, but nevertheless, a few edibles from today's hike.

post-1017-0-02577300-1468613984_thumb.jpeg

Finally got going around here. Went out Wednesday and got B. Atkinsonii (a first for me!), couple chanterelles, gyroporus purpulus, and some milkies. There were tons of red russulas out too, which means the chanterelles are soon to follow. It's been raining like crazy and cool, but has been about 100 for the past couple days and doesn't change much for the next few. I think it's gonna blow up!

Not sure why the second one flipped.

post-225-0-30197100-1469159614_thumb.jpgpost-225-0-85115200-1469159650_thumb.jpg

I found one really neat looking one but didnt collect it due to it already having turned t mush. It had the tight wrinkling of B. Hortonii but it was deep brown on top. There was a tiny specimen of the same species next to it with the same wrinkles so I don't think it was due to deterioration. I'll keep my eye onthat spot hoping for others to pop up.

Dave, how's PA looking? We have very hot dry weather right now, there is nothing in my regular spots. Last year there was tons of milkies in July, chanterelles, black trumpets, but this year nada. I guess we need a lot more rain?

Same boat here in W/C Ohio eat-bolete but lobsters which love the heat/dry are exceeding any season ever in my nearly 10 years of summer gathering. 100's of fresh lovely lobsters every time I go.

R. parvovirescens (or "virescens group" if you prefer... actually several closely related NA species), is a really good edible. Be sure to observe the cracked-apart cap cuticle (quilted appearance) as opposed to a simply green mottled cap. Nothing to really fear here, except maybe a sub-par meal :-)