It's officially summer.

Not much rain around here lately, and there was a chilly week not long ago. So the summer mushrooms are slow to start. But...

Boletus edulis.

post-20-0-44918400-1466482522_thumb.jpg

Red Leccinum.

post-20-0-20294500-1466482616_thumb.jpg

And, spring hanging on is not all bad.

Pleurotus populinus.

post-20-0-46280700-1466482737_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, with the lack of rain here in my part of W/C Ohio it is like fungicide has been sprayed. My friend and I found one Russula compacta in a ditch and that is it since some oysters a couple weeks ago after brief rains on shady spots.

Awesome photos! We finally got some rain after record heat here in Nebraska so I'm hoping for some boletes and chants soon! It was similar situation to what Scott described here, but hopefully it will turn around quick.

I feel your pain scott, I'm in NE IN. going thru the same drought. Found 4 small chants last weekend but the woods was a desert. Suppose to get a downpour today. We'll see. Nice pics Dave, wish I could find those edulis around here. do you find them around conifers?

There seems to be several strains of edulis that occur around here.

The one seen above was found under Norway spruce. I suspect this species was imported from Europe on planted tree roots. Norway spruce is an introduced tree species. This tree is very common on lawns and in planted stands here in NE PA. Most of my edulis is found in these settings.

The most common presumably native NE PA edulis type is found under hemlock, usually in areas near a stream where an opening in the canopy allows sunlight to reach the ground.

I also sometimes get an edulis type under white pine, although I suspect this type may represent the species Boletus subcaerulescens. This species --which resembles edulis-- often shows slight blue staining, but not always. Reported as a pine associate, it typically shows more brown on the stalk and sometimes features a wrinkled cap surface. But I have also found the blue-staining type under hemlock.

post-20-0-26404800-1466603180_thumb.jpg

I have rarely found an edulis type where oak dominates and no conifers are present. This one is different from B. separans and B. variipes, hardwood associates that are similar, but easily distinguished from, edulis.

Will be in Eastern PA this weekend, will check my usual spot there, Long Island is bone dry and mushroom-free.

We had the rain now just to get out there and find something, life is getting in the way, nuff said wishing you all the best.

Thanks Scott. Went out to my usual PA spot, nothing at all. Last year the same spot had tons of boletes, different types of chanterelles and a handfull of other shrooms. I don't think there was enough rain this year, will be back at the end of July.

Yup, need rainfall... and more hot weather.

June 2015 was basically an anomaly.

I checked the precip maps last Thursday morning and there was a nice 0.5"-0.75" bullseye in southern Luzerne County, not far from where I live. I walked into a good early-season spot and found...

post-20-0-68824100-1467038141_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-81555200-1467038230_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-48407200-1467038303_thumb.jpg

The edulis was not in tip-top condition. Looked like they had tried to pop about a week ago, but got infested with insects while in the button stage. I still managed to salvage/dehydrate enough material for about half a risotto. This is standard procedure for summer edulis collections.

To see what I did with the Scaber Stalks, go here...

http://www.wildmushroomhunting.org/index.php/topic/2321-blt-on-toast/

Nice finds Dave. Maybe I'll check my scaber stalk spots tomorrow...I don't have early- or late-season spots yet based on lack of experience, it's just spots for now :)))

Going to Trinidad & Tobago next week, hopefully will have a chance to go check out their mushroom life while there.

Some areas in southern Luzerne County and points south of there received as much as 2 inches of rain from storms on MTu. But it's difficult telling exactly where, as the storms tended to be localized. Intellicast precip maps don't do much good. These are based upon cloud-heights. But rain that starts out at 10,000 feet asl can get blown for miles before it reaches the ground.

First one is from the Amanita amerirubescens group, and the second is a species of Scleroderma (as you say, eat-bolete). Pretty sure the third one is also A. amerirubescens... a highly variable type of mushroom. This mushroom is generally among the first mycorrhizal species to show up at the end of spring. Try to find the areas where there's been rainfall... easier said than done. Most of the precip maps use Doppler Radar, which does not reliably pinpoint the small areas where micro-bursts of rainfall have occurred.

Thanks Dave, will try. In Trinidad now, hopefully NY will receive some rainfall in the next week and a half.

Haven't seen any mushrooms here yet, enjoying local fruits and home cooking for now. And I really, really miss winter now...even Florida's humidity is nothing compared to weather here.

We've had the same problem with rainfall here. Small strong storms here and there, but none at the house. Finally a nice soaking rain today with high temps this week. I did manage some suillus pictus and a variety of boletes. Also found a handful of trumpets and some other small, interesting mushrooms. Sorry for the sideways pictures.

post-2-0-91563000-1467661991_thumb.jpeg

post-2-0-30823400-1467662042_thumb.jpeg

post-2-0-25019600-1467662088_thumb.jpeg

I think that first mushroom is an Entoloma. Spore print would be salmon pink for these types.

The little yellowish one in moss looks like Leotia lubrica, "Jelly Babies". These usually occur in groups.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/leotia_lubrica.html

I'm still waiting for my first Trumpet of the year. That's a nice one!

Same kinda weather here, Evan... some highly localized storms that dump a lot of rain in a small area, but basically very dry for the past two weeks. There was a fairly decent slow-soaker to the south and east last night, so maybe I can find some good spots during the next few days.

Finally after a bit of rain last week I was able to get out and harvest some chantys Not much else fruiting in this particular set of woods but I'm not complaining. A few days earlier I probably could have picked 10 plus pounds!! 50 percent fruiting mushrooms were infested with bugs. So hopefully all the mushrooms I left will drop spores and fruit the next good rain we have. We're experiencing same weather pattern as most you you. Scattered storms, far and few in between. And from the looks of it, it'll be dry for a while.

Those trumpets sure are elusive here !! I'd really love to add to my list as well!!

post-976-0-48372600-1467794049_thumb.jpeg

post-976-0-31717700-1467794291_thumb.jpeg

post-976-0-21095200-1467794315_thumb.jpeg

Nice haul! I have a theory about bugs and chanterelles. It goes like this. ThIs year I experienced some of my best and earliest chanterelle harvests ever. I also experienced some of the worst bug infestation of chanterelles ever. What I think caused this was the absence of almost all other mushrooms when the chanterelles were fruiting. The bugs simply did not have any other host options and did the only thing they could, they laid their eggs on the chanterelles. Bugs tend to have short life spans and must take every opportunity they have to procreate, even if it means using a less than ideal host. Its just a theory of mine based off of observation, and it may not hold water under scientific scrutiny.

That's a believable hypothesis, John. Chants are among the first fleshy terrestrial fungi to fruit in some places. One way to possibly test this idea is to observe any differences in insect infestation for flushes of chants that occur a little later when a multitude of other fleshy terrestrial fungi are available.

Another factor... Chants tend to grow very slowly. One rainfall teases out the minute buttons, and it may take more than a week before conditions favor further development of the fruit bodies. In the meantime, the insects are there.

Often I am content with trimming away insect-damaged portions of stalk-interiors and saving parts of the chants that have minimal insect damage.

Thanks John !! We had a little rain yesterday so I'm hoping to find a few more pounds this morning when I get off. Nothing like taking a stroll in the woods at the crack of dawn! :)

Great theory on the insects. I think that is exactly the problem here. When I say absolutely nothing else fungi, I mean nothing. With the exception of some really tiny mushrooms