I still love ya' Dave but I got to call you out on this one!

Recently I read in one of your posts that "the mid-west was the capital of mushroom country",or something like that.Well,This is a part of a email I for from a friend in Montama.Now I would agree with your statement 100% if I could do this every year!.Oh! And BTW,their night time temps are below freezing EVERY night! I think out only shot at this is to seed an area from that spore! It isn't the same for our shrooms so must be a cousin etc.

Just "funn'n with ya' Dave!LOL

Wade

Wade, if you can catch the right weather conditions and are close enough to a fresh burn site the morels are thick. All told the 20 of us harvested right at 90 pounds. One couple pick and sell to a dealer locally, they average 10 lbs a day, depending on the season and burns the previous year. These are rather small, and the flesh is thin this year, just not enough snow or rain.

If I remember correctly she said they (or at least she) was only out a couple hours! Boy,I'd love to be able to get into them like that! I could eat morels at about every meal for a while before I got tired of them!

Wade

It's not unusual for a knowledgeable western NA burn-site hunter to get over 50 pounds in a day. One time in Idaho during early August I got well over 10 pounds of "grays" (M. tomentosa) in a single day... and this late-season type usually occurs in smaller quantities than the "conica" fire morel.

I have seen photos of mid-Western morel hauls found under dead elm that rival the fire morel collections.

I agree that burn morels shouldn't count when assessing morel productivity. They are typically abundantly available at a given location for only the year after a forest fire and are entirely dependent on fire. If you want to make comparisons, it should be done on the basis of "natural" morels that are available year after year in the same area.