Leucocoprinus birnbaumii ?? Parasol ??

Might not be the place for this discussion but aren't all mushrooms parasols ? Sorry you guys just a novice. Everything I read doesn't quite explain, in simple terminology that I can understand. Maybe a stupid question. I apologize in advance.

Some mushrooms (fungi) are parasites, but most are not. A lot of them are saprophytes, growing on dead plant matter. I think that most of them are symbiotic with trees or other plants. And some are combinations of the preceding; Honey Mushrooms seem to grow on both dead and living trees.

The mushroom commonly called "Parasol" is any of the species (some undocumented) of genus Macrolepiota. Also, there is the "Shaggy Parasol" Chlorophyllum rhacodes (also C. brunnea and maybe a few others). C. molybdites looks like a Parasol Mushroom, but this green-spored mushroom is a sickener.

The ones seen in this thread are neither Macrlopiota nor Chlorophyllum. These are a species of Leucocoprinus, likely L. birnbaumii. Probably at least somewhat toxic.

In older field guides, all of the mushrooms mentioned in this post had been classified under genus Lepiota. I believe all or most of the mushrooms classified under the genus names mentioned are saprobic.

I'm pretty certain L. birnbaumii has been studied, for purely scientific reasons. Else Vellinga, a research mycologist based in Berkeley, studies the Lepiotaceous fungi. Leucocoprinus falls into this category. As for edibility, aside from a few good edibles, many of the mushrooms formerly grouped into species Lepiota have bad reputations.

Actually... perhaps there are several versions of the yellow Leucocoprinus... globally, in North America. I don't know. The species falling into this category may be poorly understood. Maybe the DNA points to several different possible evolutionary paths...?

Sorry for the wavering here. But I think I should reconsider my previous comment.

Fungal taxonomy is anything but a settled area.

No need to apologize Dave, I wasn't debating you by any means. I apologize if I came off that way.

You guys and gals are teaching me more than I could ever comprehend.

I'm finding out that the last statement you made to be so true. After reading the few post in General Discussion about all the different types of morels, I'm just blown away. Thanks again for all the knowledge