"F" is for Fungi

Dave W

...but not many fungal genera represent "F", at least not ones that produce fruit bodies large enough to notice.

First thing in this thread was the last thing found in 2015, Flammulina velutipes, the "Winter Mushroom".

post-20-0-02654100-1453124562_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-08402600-1453124665_thumb.jpg

This polypore was IDed on Mushroom Observer as Fomitopsis ochracea.

post-20-0-91855000-1453124448_thumb.jpg

Hope I don't spoil your breakfast with this one. Fuligo septica goes by either "Dog Vomit" or "Scrambled Eggs". Not truly a fungus, rather a slime mold.

post-20-0-06951500-1453124724_thumb.jpg

From 2013, these are from a genus of bolete named Fuscoboletinus. Some mycologists lump these into genus Suillus. The only time I've ever found any Fuscoboletinus.

post-20-0-44694600-1453125355_thumb.jpg

I find Flammulina velutipes on a variety of dead hardwood trees during warm spells of winter weather, usually early winter. But the best fruitings seem to occur on standing dead elm trees during morel season. Not every spring, but when there's a springtime flush, it's usually substantial.