Cyanoboletus pulverulentus ?

Looks a bit like C. pulverulentus. But I think this may be an example of Boletus oliveisporus. My understanding --from discussions-- is that oliveisporus is pulverulentus look-alike with a southern NA distribution. The staining on the cut flesh seen above is not dark enough for pulverulentus.

My only concern with that proposal is that there were no pine trees. They were found in a open grassy area. When cut diagonally, blueing is more prominent.

What about edibility ? Wasn't bitter at all and taste very pleasant, very small portion that is

post-976-0-46562800-1446917281_thumb.jpeg

I have eaten pulverulentus.

Another difference from pulverulentus I notice here is the cap color, pink/red as opposed to the brownish color I see on pulverulentus.

Boletes of NA says the habitat for oliveisporus is "oak and pine." So I don't know if this implies that the absence of pine would mean oliveisporus is unlikely. But I think probably not. Fungal/tree associations vary regionally. But there should be some trees in the vicinity of where these mushrooms were found. Presumably, whatever these are, they represent a mycorrhizal species.

About a month ago I found some pulverulentus on my front lawn... about 80 feet away from an 80 foot tall hickory. I find lots of puverulentus on my land, always not far from hickory.

Possibly this bolete is a different species from either that has been discussed. I don't see LA mentioned in many field guides. This could mean that, relative to other areas in NA, not many mushroom collections from LA have been analyzed.

Boletes of NA does say the range of pulverulentus extends into southern NA.

Ok that makes sense. There were some oak trees in the area but not really close. With that being said and the other characteristics you mentioned seem to fit Boletus oliveisporus. Do you recommend par boiling these before cooking or can I just sautée in a little butter ? Also should I peel back the ascus and discard?

I did, with great caution. Sautéed with a little butter , salt and pepper. Sampled a few pieces around 6 last night. I didn't want to give anyone the wrong idea about just eating random mushrooms but everything I researched pointed towards, non poisonous. They're quite delicious actually . Some of the better tasting mushrooms I've had so far. Unlike other regions of North America , It's kinda depressing not having people in my area who share the same interest as I do for fungi. Thank God for Internet and smart phones and of course great books and field guides.

I've been observing wild mushrooms for over 30 years. Internet/digital-cameras were a total game-changer for me.

I think that holds true for all of us. Before the net, I picked two species that was passed down from my father. Honeys and morels. The only thing that my father knew of any other mushroom was that it maybe or maybe not was poisonous. LOL. Field guides helped me expand into repandums and chanterelles a few years later but for many years those were the only ones I trusted identifying. Never had the benefit of a mycological club or any other pickers in my area.

Now the internet has me much more confident and I am comfortable at over 30 species of edibles. I have several more that I am fairly confident with but don't bother with because I just don't need that many mushrooms.