What are these mushrooms?

Hi the grey mushrooms have a white spore pattern and I went out today and there are hundreds more. Does anyone have any idea what they might be? I also found more of the odd white ones growing out of moss and they smell bad I will add more pics later. Is there a site with pictures .Also I am in the barrie Ontario area if this helps out at all.

Hi Robert,

It is nearly impossible to give any kind of definitive ID based on the pictures you have provided. If you would be so kind as to take a picture of the gills/stem and then cut one of each kind in half through the stem and cap it would make IDing infinitely easier. The spore print is helpful but based on just the pics we have so far and the spore print, it would be tough to get it under 20 possibilities of what these could be. Not enough information provided. Cap/Stem color and spore print is just not enough to go on.

A couple possible sites you could check out are

Mushroom Expert

Northern Bushcraft/ Wild Edible Mushrooms of Ontario

www.ojibway.ca/mushrooms.htm

Please keep in mind that looking at photos should only be a starting point to finding a mushroom that looks like the one you have found. After that you must positively identify each individual characteristic to the mushroom you think it might be.

Cap color

Bruising

Stem color and characteristics

Flesh color

Gill color and characteristics

Spore print

Taste

Smell

How does it grow

Where does it grow

Time of year found

These are just some of the questions you need positively answered and matched before even considering eating a mushroom or considering an ID to be positive. Many of the people here are very experienced mushroomers. Give them proper photos and chances are you will get your ID. Photos must show identifying characteristics though.

If you could take a better defined picture of the white ones showing the gill surface, I have an idea of what they might be. Can't be sure, and won't float out any possibilities without it though.

Thanks GCn15

That's some great info I guess I am just so excited to find these interesting mushrooms seeing that I have just started out and man is there a lot of different types of mushrooms out there.

Growing up I used to go with my family maslaki /slippery jack picking and we made a lot of great memories now that I m in my late 30's and living in the simcoe Barrie area in trying to bring back some of my past experience's.

I'm sure my wife will get sick of me soon enough with this new great hobby .

You are in for a real treat once you start learning to distinguish and identify some different species and where they grow. There are mushrooms out there that are just outstanding culinary treats. Also, they will fascinate you as you see more and more and learn about them. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything because it took a lot of effort to compile it, but I do remember fondly when every mushroom was brand new to me. Fear not though, I've been picking for over 20 years and every year I find mushrooms I've never seen before.

Please follow my advice on identification, and use the experts here and elsewhere to confirm identity. There are deadly poisonous species out there that you don't want to fool around with. There are some very easily identifiable species you should start with that are choice edibles. Might be too late for them in your area though. However, you may still catch the end of the run for hydnum repandums (sweet tooth mushrooms). Very easy to identify and outstanding edible. Look for them in mixed forest with both coniferous and hardwood. I find them usually in areas with harder ground with the odd brush growth around and little red berries that grow on the ground. Not a berry guy so I don't know what to call them. I like to look for areas in mixed old growth woods that have a pocket of poplars and birch offset by a pocket of conifers nearby.

Here are more pictures hope this will help .

Most of these mushrooms were close to or under pine /spruce trees and they are growing in bunches with 5 or more and some on there own. After going back today some are big 3 inches across with smaller ones mixed in .They don't discolor when cut and don't smell bad and those funny ones are mixed in with them

post-1407-0-95505300-1446830742_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-93762700-1446830881_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-93141500-1446830968_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-11006600-1446831043_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-65127600-1446831098_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-90134500-1446831164_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-08952100-1446831227_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-33471100-1446831282_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-66344300-1446831348_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-91135500-1446831429_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-17088900-1446831487_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-78914000-1446831549_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-94760900-1446831602_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-03114400-1446831699_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-08671000-1446831830_thumb.jpg

The white ones have me stumped. I don't see any gill, pore, or tooth pattern. I am curious to see what these guys might think they are. Unfortunately, I tend to stay in my wheelhouse for edibles and play it very safe for gilled mushrooms. I will wait until Dave responds with his ideas on the gilled ones.

These gilled ones were growing out of moss?

Did you taste them?

(take a small piece taste and then spit out)

Some real tell tale signs in taste are that they taste acrid or rancid, some mushrooms will be peppery, some very bitter , there are some that have a faint radish taste. Pretty much anything. Some mushroom have no discernible taste....that too is a clue. Any detail helps in identification.

I asked for taste because I am trying to see if they might be fried chicken mushrooms. They look a lot like the fried chickens we pick here in Northern Manitoba. Were they growing under dirt. (Emerging out of soil, caps covered). The fried chickens are not a mushroom I feel comfortable giving an ID on without a microscope though. Too many look alikes that could be poisonous or toxic.

Check out lyophyllum decastes at mushroom expert or rogers and try match up all characteristics given. Even then...maybe I am just a nervous nelly...don't eat it. See if there is mycological society nearby in your area with someone that can identify it positively for you under the microscope.

I have been searching up the Entoloma Abortvitum mushroom and found Armillaria can these be the grey mushrooms that were growing all around . Do the Armillaria mushrooms start more as bell shaped and then become more flat as they get older?

Now if these are Armillaria are they safe to eat ? , But why do the Entoloma Abortvitum smell so bad could it be because of what they were growing on?

More advice, robertbobby.

Photos taken outdoors, but not in direct sunlight, are best for showing natural color. Find an area that's shaded, but with an opening to the sky directly above. This way, you avoid glare/shadow, but still have good ambient natural light. Indoor photos rarely show color very well. Experiment with different lighting conditions.

Pictures of large groups of mushrooms like the one showing the bunch of mushrooms on the tray are difficult to asses. Are they all the same species? I can't tell.

Take spore prints on both black and white non-porous background. The light colored prints show up on the black but are best assessed when viewed on the white. That is, a subtle pink or yellow print may look white when viewed on black, but will show the subtle difference from white when seen on the white.

The mushrooms in the very first post starting this thread look like they may all be the same. But it's difficult to narrow down to a specific species... or even to a specific genus without seeing more details (as has been explained by other members).

At least some of what I see here may represent poisonous types of Entolomas and/or Tricholoma species that are sickeners. None of what I see here look like Armillarias.

My best guess at this point is that you have collected (mainly) a species (or several species) of Tricholoma. There are a few different species of gray Trichs that occur under coniferous trees in fall. Even with excellent photos/descritpions this is a difficult group to ID to species. You have begun your investigation into wild mushrooms with a very difficult collection(s)!

First off I would like to thank everyone for your help trying to identify these mushrooms that I collected .

For a first group off mushrooms I guess I picked difficult ones I will have to leave these ones alone for now and do some more research in the future .

Thanks again and happy picking to you all.

Rob

robertbobby, if you're in the Barrie area, and picking under conifers, you're most likely finding tremendous amounts of gey trichs. As Dave pointed out. Pretty much any conifer forest, this time of year, is full of grey tricholomas. I was just over in the Markdale/Meaford area, chasing deer. Tons of grey trichs. Ones I did however run across (not in great numbers) were lepista nuda, lepista irina, lactarius thyionos sp.? and shaggy parasols (forget the Latin). Also saw small fruiting of hypzigus, velvet stalk, and fall oysters. Deer had mown off the oysters.

With this warm weather you still have time to possibly find a few easier to i.d. edibles. Look for ; common names. Shaggy manes, blewits and elm oysters. I've seen all of these in harvestable amounts in the last week. The only one of these three that can be difficult to type would be blewits. A spore print will easily aid in i.d. from any late season cortinarius (which I don't see at this time of year).Lepista irina is quite often common, as well, but this one I feel requires a solid researching before consumption. I say this because there are several close look alikes that at best, are bad tasting, and at worst toxic.

My ethnic background is predominantly Polish. But "maslaki" is a new word for me. Looked it up... Suillus. The first type of mushroom I hunted as a kid was "popinkie", the local favorite here in NE PA. Also, people hunt "gunskies" (Tricholomas, as best as I can determine), and "jelunkies" (jel-oon'-kees) which I suspect may be species of Hygrophorus. Any ideas?

Podpienki/opeinki are honeys. Not sure about the gunskies however zielonkis are the greenish yellow shrooms found in moss under pines ( not sure what the common/latin names are ) . There are also prawdziwki ( king boletes ), kozaki ( red capped whatever they're called ) and a hand full of others - these are just the heavy hitters. Important to note that the names change in different dialects - sometimes speaking to my friends parents who are wizard mushroom foragers I have no clue what mushroom they are talking about until they describe its phenotypic traits.

Na zdrowie!

Thanks! I've known what popinkies are for some time.

Sounds like zielonkis are Tricholoma flavovirens (= T. equestre). I had always thought T. flavovirens (and T. portentosum) were "gunskies". A little additional searching has turned up "gaska zielanka" as T. flavovirens as seen on Wikipedia.

Tricholoma flavovirens.

post-20-0-43394000-1447301494_thumb.jpg

So I think you're correct, troutaddicted, about "jelunkie" being a localized version of zielonka. But I'm still wondering about "gunski"? For some time I have thought maybe gunski was a localized version of gaski, which I think is the Polish plural of "Tricholoma mushroom". Maybe both names, gunski and jelunki refer to the same mushroom species (T. flavovirens), with gunski also possibly used to refer to other types of Tricholoma, like T. portentosum or T. terreum...?

Still trying to figure this out! Many people in my locale use the word gunski to refer to Hygrophorus flavodiscus. But I still suspect this is a misapplication. H. flavodiscus looks somewhat like T. flavovirens, and grows in very similar habitat (although I've never seen the two types growing togtether).

Hygrophorus flavodiscus

post-20-0-10136800-1447301655_thumb.jpg

Finally, T. flavovirens has been linked to several serious cases of poisoning! This despite it's being consumed by many people for many years.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691507004784

Scary stuff! Whatever you call these yellow Trichs, I don't eat them anymore.