Hey moonbeams.......

brianf

I know when to quit when I'm ahead so the 2015 season is over for me. Wasn't the greatest, but I'm not complaining. Still found loads of good stuff. I think I may have consumed more species this season than I have ever previously. That's a positive.

Interestingly, I will be going out the exact way I came into the season. First two finds of the season were b.edulis and l.sulphureus. Last two finds of the season? edulis and sulphureus. The cep is 100 percent edible......and gargantuan. It will be carefully sliced, lightly marinated, then grilled. Sandwiches on homemade buns with homemade feta style cheese, with a smearing of home grown veg and greens. The chicken will be eaten. Probably in a big nasty fry up.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their seasons as much as I have mine. Good luck to those who will continue to hunt, take care with the hunters. If your area is anything like mine, most of them appear to enjoy a bit of drinking.....at least judging by the beer can/bottle waste I find every spring.

post-797-0-57989800-1445192490_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-47285000-1445192493_thumb.jpg

Here in Massachusetts hunting is not allowed on Sunday so some patches of woods (including my favorite) will be Sunday only hunts. Also living in far eastern Ma there are many small patches of woods, too small for hunting or in towns where hunting isn't allowed. It seems around here the best mushroom hunting takes place in the fall, though I'm a newbie so I could be wrong. Glad to hear you had a good year, I'm sure 2016 will be even better.

Scott, I think you might live somewhat near me. Albeit, south of the border. I'm less than 20 minutes north of Methuen. With our low, low temps and lack of real rain, I have low hopes for much else.

John, I'll be here and there about this winter. I don't have quite the winter schedule panning out like I have the last two, but that's always subject to change. If I don't slow down, these winters will probably kill me.

Easily, one of the nicest wild mushroom's I have ever found. I wish there was a way to keep it perpetually fresh so I could display it on a shelf. I need some cool mushroom decorations. If that's the last mushroom I find this year, that's ok with me. If I could replace one of my hands with it, I would.

Anyone planning on coming up to NH next spring/summer/fall feel free to send me a private message, I'm pretty sure I'll at least get an email notification. I'd be more than happy to take some folks around. The neat thing about my little pocket of NH is that during the hot summer weeks you can still find pretty decent quantities without tons of rain......if you don't mind working for it.