Storing 'Hen of the Woods'

Found another 'Hen of the Woods' close to home today. 3kg Now I have the problem I'm sure I will wish for in years to come-how can store/perseve grifola frondosa? How much of the mushroom do you use? Just the 'fronds'? The 'stalk'? Also someone please teach me the proper terms for these parts. Thanks for all the help

post-1261-0-77171400-1444589525_thumb.jpeg

You can pickle or ferment that thing. You can dehydrate it. You can saute and freeze. Or you could store it in the garbage :). Not a big fan of hens. But it's pretty good for storage. Just cut it up. Keep anything that has a good texture unless dehydrating. Then you can keep anything that's clean and bug free. Then purpose each individual piece as it's best suited.

As far as terminology for the parts of a hen. I'm not sure. I guess a common term is "scallops" for the individual parts of a lot of polypores. Fronds kind of works, I guess. Stem/Stipe would be the very base of the entire mushroom. I wouldn't worry about the terms. Everyone knows what everyone else is talking about under these circumstances.

Nice find though, if you're into that sort of thing. Many years ago I found a hen that had beer bottle caps and a chip bag that the fungus had picked up, for some reason this turned me off from hens. Reminds me too much of dangerous assholes getting drunk and firing guns off with complete disregard for safety and sensibility. Plus, they're kind of ugly, reminds me of the garbage slime you find all over parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens. Or all the nooks and crannies in a really dirty restaurant.

Hens sometimes have little raised black dots on the white pore surface. This is likely the result on insect feces --pill bugs, centipedes. If there's not too many of these, I excise them from the mushroom, but I don't preserve such material. Sometimes I leave an entire Hen in the woods because there's just too much damage. Usually, if this problem is observed, it's with the post-mature ones. The bugs tend to move in after the mushroom has fully expanded.

For nice clean Hen I use two preservation techniques...

Par boil, place into canning jars, submerge in seasoned vinegar (cut with some water), chill, store in fridge for a month before eating. Keeps for over a year like this (in the fridge).

Cut into manageable pieces, saute in oil, package and freeze. I keep then for years in my chest freezer like this.

Hens dehydrate. Dry well in my experience. I have also done a confit of maitake which preserved them well. It you have to be sure they are completely covered in oil while storing. I cut a nice one on the tree in my neighbor's yard yesterday. Going to get some cooked and most in the dehydrator.

Even inexpensive dehydrators can be real work horses. Bought two no-name ones this summer to increase drying capacity and they were dirt cheap. They've been running non-stop for a few months now. My original dehydrator was about 50-60 dollars and it's been running for a while now, suffering lots of use and abuse.

They're not a super in-demand product nor are they exactly space age technology. So the ones on the market need to be of a minimum quality or they just won't sell. And as far as the technology, it's not very hard to get right so long as the manufacturing machine's can solder, you're probably going to at least get what you paid for, if not more. Just don't smash it on the ground and stuff.