New forager based in Essex, UK

DSmith

Welcome to the forums!

If you're going to use a find for food make sure it's something that isn't easily mistaken for something else and you use every part of the description to identify it. Also do take the time to do certain things and wait a few minutes to "test" whether something might be toxic, such as first touching it, then rubbing it's insides on your skin, then eating a tiny amount while drinking copious amounts of water.

I'd like to point out that even with over two years fungus finding I've never actually eaten anything I've found.

The U.K. has some great edibles. However most people here, are either Canadian or American. There are some "round the world species" but often geography plays it's part in biodiversity. You can find excellent advice from various people, who frequent this site, however if you can find a local club and purchase books relating to your area you'll have a step up. Any time that you request i.d. help or post photos, it's good to have your own idea on what you think you've found. That way there's the satisfaction of being right or the knowledge that you don't know.

There are a few posts, on this site, on how to post photos and describe your finds.

Welcome and good luck !

Please read the post on mushroom i.d. It shows that everyone here is dedicated to safety. No one will give out a photo i.d. unless it's 100% correct.

Thank you for your kind replies! I will indeed post photographs of my finds and n fact I have one that I will post today. I have a good idea if what they may be and have consulted a couple of books to determine this but being a newbie I am obviously sceptical. I look forward to some interesting and insightful conversations!

• 3 weeks later...