Cool bolete

Cedric

Here's one I found last year. The cap was really strange: it was like scales or a thick reticulum. Not cracked or dried out. I have been looking to identify it since it looks pretty particular, but came up empty. Any ideas?

Yellow, reticulated stem, not hollow. No change of color upon cut.

White pores, no change of colour upon bruising.

Smell "bolety". Did not taste.

Typopilus? Because of the pinkisk tubes?

post-816-0-26075600-1441369271_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-44538000-1441369277_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-64105200-1441369284_thumb.jpg

Wow! That is a really cool bolete. I agree that the pinkish tinge to the pores may point toward Tylopilus. The closest I can find to this is Tylopilus appalachiensis. Many of the Tylopilus species taste bitter, but many others do not.

There's another possible genus for a pink-pored bolete, Austroboletus. I think this may represent some species from this genus. But the closest i have found in this genus (online) is A. lacunosus, which I believe is an Australian species. Virtually none of the mycorrhizal Australian mushrooms represent species found in NA.

You would think that the deeply wrinkled/pitted cap surface would immediately point toward some very distinctive species. But sometimes a type of mushroom that normally does not develop this trait may have a pitted or wrinkled cap. A really interesting post with nice photos.

If I get any other ideas I'll post again.

Thanks! I was feeling frustrated not to find it. Guess it was not easy. I'll go back to where I found it see if there are other specimens. THe cap looking guenuine: not the result of rot or animals or anything else..