Dehydrator

I might buy one. Any suggestions? Tips? Brands and models? I know nothing about them so anything will be helpful.

I used to have one but ruined it making jerky. Now I just use some wire mesh grill trays and the oven. Usually turn it on the lowest setting (170*) until it's done preheating, turn it off and walk away for 2 days or so. I finished my trumpets on 220 for 20 minutes taking Dave Ws advice.

Just make sure it has a heating coil versus just air. You can buy a useful one for 50-60$. I just bought 2 more cheap ones from a liquidator type department store to deal with the overload at 30$ a piece. They'll get me through the summer if I don't end up buying a large capacity one. My original one was just a small, oval shaped 6 tray one. It more than gets the job done, it's been running non-stop for a couple of weeks, and it recently got dropped onto a hard surface from about 4 feet, it runs fine. It's just an inexpensive "Waring" I got as a gift a couple of years ago.

On top of mushrooms, we're always picking and dehydrating herbs and shortly it'll be time to dehydrate some garlic, chilis, and cherry tomatoes. So it will run non-stop through the summer into the fall.

Great investment.

Oh, the two cheap ones I picked up literally just said "Food Dehydrator" both on the box and on the units themselves. I assume as long as I handle them carefully, they'll last long enough.

I have a very inexpensive one that I would hesitate to recommend. It works ok, but I doubt it will last long. It was all that was available locally. I live in a very small town.

I like Cedric's setup too. I'll be experimenting with that.

String drying will only work under optimal conditions . Low humidity, and high temps . Works great in Arizona, but iffy in Georgia ..

I hunt too hard to risk it .I have had this model for 4 years, and it may be a cheapo, but it has worked great .

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002OKDWO/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=53317801488&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7706981630072113500&hvpone=69.36&hvptwo=27&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_wfw60fvhp_b

Well, I didn't build it. A friend of mine who'se a sign maker built it. We call it the "800 P". He also has one just like mine. It even has 800 P written on it. There was a contract for signs for some business at 800 Prescott St, and the deal fell through. He used the materials meant for a couple of metal signs. Uses two 75 watt light bulbs. Heated air rises up to the top through plastic grates/trays, and out some holes drilled in the plexi-glass lid. Works great! Although sometimes I air-dry material that's kinda wet before putting it into the 800 P.

post-20-0-30791500-1437273398_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-81364600-1437273479_thumb.jpg

When I have more mushrooms than fit into the 800 P, I hang the rest of the slices on mono-filament strung across a south-facing attic window. The 800 P is positioned just below the window, so the warm air flows upward toward the hanging mushroom slices. Hanging material eventually gets finished in the 800 P.