Black trumpets worms

After a 2-hr hike got another few pounds of trumpets, and while cleaning and tearing some apart, found white worms. White, with brown or black heads, 3-8 mm long, looking just like worms found in apples, just smaller. I'm not sure if these are the same kind that eat other shrooms and it still surprises me how they can hide in that thin flesh, but I found about 20 and who knows how many I DIDN'T find. What should I do? Is it safe to eat? Just cook them well? Or should I toss it? It's impossible to inspect each and every one, not in this mushroom.

I eat them. On purpose even, being an entomophagy fan. They are safe and actually quite nice to eat.

Anything that has the possibility of insects in it ,especially from the wild, but including your garden also,should be soaked in a salt brine solution as soon as possible.We even soak wild game as soon as cleaned(rabbit,squirrel etc).The salt acts as an irritant and drives insects to the top on the water trying to escape.

As for morels and other mushrooms,we always cut them in half ,rinse off any dirt and add about 1 tablespoon salt and refrigerate.Hope this helps.

Wade

Worms were definitely in the flesh, I was finding them as I tore flesh into strips. Salt brine helped, thanks, although the didn't float, they all sank haha so it was a bit harder to get them all. Maybe they are harmless to eat, but I don't feel like Bear Grylls just yet:)