hello from northern maine!

Maniac71

hey folks! just joined the site and thought id introduce myself. I'm a avid outdoorsman , mushroom hunter and grower. i live at the very northern teminus in maine. I'm a rocks throw from canada. i have 7 varieties of mushies growing in beds right now. also have 15 totems going w/ 3 more varieties. just got my first flush of k. stropharia yesterday. 3 lbs. 4 oz.! most common mushrooms i find up here are numerous boletes , lobsters , blewits and tons of chaga. have found parasols, chanterelles. hedgehogs , birch polypores, loins mane, numerous conks, oysters and quite a few others i haven't positively identified but I'm working on it. looking forward to learning more from you all and will offer my advice as well. have a good one!

Hey fellow New Englander. We have a great variety of mushrooms up here. I live near the southeastern most corner of NH.

Which blewit do you commonly find? I find a few wood blewits from year to year, sadly always past prime, but I have never come across any sort of field blewit.

Blewit's are the mushroom I plan on attempting to cultivate this fall/winter. I can get culture's from Aloha Medicinals. Downside is, it appears to be a pretty heavy feeder, so that can be problematic indoors.

I think this is the mushroom I would most like to eat again, as I have only enjoyed Wood Blewit's one time, many years ago.

I've only found wood blewits usually in clusters of about a doz. i started a outside bed under some 40 yr. old spruces last spring. hopefully they produce this fall. i also have the northern almond port. wine caps, elms and princes in beds started this spring. looking for horse mushroom and parasols to propagate. you find any of those in your area?

I find parasols every now and again. That's not a mushroom I tend to pick anymore as the numbers have steadily declined. You can find cultures for the three big eating parasols at aloha medicinals. I assume you're looking for the most standard brown stiped, white capped, brown scaled variety (macropiota procera)? You live close enough that when I do find some, I would be glad to harvest and send you some. I've considered a moderate cultivation of the three parasol's myself over the years.

The outdoor bed of Blewit's should come through in the early fall I'd assume. Did you apply any burn material to the cultivation site? This appears to be key towards establishing a bed with serious production. You should still see a good chunk though.

As far as Agaricus Arvensis/Horse Mushroom I recommend going through Aloha Medicinals as well. That way you leave little to chance. Not the easiest species to identify in the wild.

You can get a culture here: http://www.alohaculturebank.com/Agaricusarvensis6.html#.Va1Zw9A76NE Probably the safest bet. Just take what you get, split it three or four ways and further the colony on a sterlized grain to maximize your chances.

I grow agaricus augustus indoors. It's really the only agaricus mushroom I tend to eat these days.

I purchased two different strains of cordyceps from there and it was the best decision I've ever made. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$