Just awesome finds for a short hike . 7/11/15

I got off work a bit early today, and had about an hour to kill, before my next duty, so thought I would take a short hike .

Got to one of my chant spots, and realized I was not prepared . No mesh bag, no bug spray, no water, and wearing shorts in

a very thorny area .. Oh well .. Dug around in the truck and found an old doughnut bag, and stuck that in my pocket .

Hadn't gone 20 feet before I spotted a chant . This a smooth .. Looked around and saw patches of yellow all around !

Then little red cinnabar everywhere . Then various boletes .. Then so many other mushrooms that I could not ID, that I was

just in awe ! I didn't have my cam either to take in woods shots , but will post some of the finds, that I shot when home .

These were all found, and many more in about 45 mins .. Crazy !!

post-908-0-82444300-1436652891_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-16825900-1436652918_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-25248500-1436652955_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-52643000-1436652980_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-59873100-1436653007_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-83438900-1436653042_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-97105600-1436653066_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-68936600-1436653083_thumb.jpg

Dave, I left a lot of boletes that were very bitter, but looked very similar to some that I kept . Not sure how to tell the difference with out tasting . So I was snacking away in the woods ! Lol ! Also found many that stained blue, but also left them . I am still trying hard to learn, but not at the expense of illness ..

I am heading out again in a bit to find more . I have the dehydrator full and spinning ! Life is good !

I have yet to eat any of the boletes I have found. I taste them in the woods and they all seem to have a very slight bitterness, although not terrible. Maybe I just need to break down and go for it.

Well. I found about 10 lbs of chants between Sunday's hunt, and about 1 hr yesterday . I hit another spot today, and it was also just loaded .

The pic here is from today, sans the mason jar of dried chants . The dried ones were from Sunday . The dehydrator has been going 24 hrs a day since last week .

Just crazy ! I have never seen chants in numbers like this . I have found patches that look like chant carpet in the woods ! Just hundreds in a small area !

My dear mom comes over to me just now, and says, 'It smells like chants over here !' Gives me a sniff and says ' Oh, it's you ' ! LOL !!!!

Guess I need a shower ! Lol !

Anyway, here is about 45 mins. in the woods today ..

post-908-0-70176700-1436999358_thumb.jpg

post-908-0-72758200-1436999388_thumb.jpg

Hey, Dave. Those reddish boletes look awfully similar to the flush I found in my "today smashes yesterday" thread. I've sent off three emails and have gotten the "no clue" response.

This mushroom, may be what is referred to as the North American Pinophilus. I found mine in a stretch of conifers, but it was far too diverse to determine which tree they were growing with.

Do you think they could be one of the lesser studied Leccinum's? I've heard tale of people getting sick up here over the last few years eating reddish boletes that were uneasily settled at a Leccinum with no real specific species. I didn't get sick though. I felt like a champion after consumption.

The similar looking boletes I found were fantastic. Just as sweet and delicious as the all the early edulis this season.

Like that nice 1qt jar of dried chanterelles. I just start filling my second one of this season.

Things seem slow in a lot of places, but a few of us are having some damn fine luck.

Thanks for sharing adam.

Brian, the name "pinophilus" is probably not applicable to any NA Boletus species. But I think I know what you mean. I have found the type with reddish brown cap, mainly reddish brown strongly reticulate stalk with some brown staining, and no blue staining. But I have also made collections of B. subcaerulescens --which is supposed to stain blue on the pores and/or cap flesh-- in which some of the mushrooms showed absolutely no staining. This summer, I found a single bolete in an area where I had previously collected what I used to call pinophilus, and this one showed blue bruising on the pores

post-20-0-67456400-1437430488_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-22688200-1437430549_thumb.jpg.

So I suspect that the NA B. pinophilus and B. subcaerulescens may be the same species with mushrooms exhibiting variable bluing. Either way, these boletes are every bit as good as edulis.

I do think I'm in agreement with you there.. I only use the pinophilus name as I've come across mushrooms referred to as Boletus cf Pinophillus. From what I understand it's not a recognized name, but more a point of reference. Mushroomexpert has a mushroom down as such. But relating to a NA species. near the Rockies. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/boletus_cf_pinophilus.html

Mine didn't stain blue, but I think it came up before, it doesn't seem that all B.Subcaerulescens stain.

Honestly, the red cap red stalk white pored ones I found were actually some of the best mushroom eating I've done.