Which Bolete?

4rum

I only found one of these. It was fresh enough to be a good example. I did look in my Roody field guide but was unable to make a positive determination. I chewed a tiny bit and it was quite pleasant, not bitter. Spore print looks to be a light olive to me. I had sauteed some Chants in onions. I took three small slices of this bolete and fried them in that skillet .... my gosh it was good.

19302367588_4f32a33f27_o.jpg

19302364958_edd57495ae_o.jpg

19463873206_3733fa61f2_o.jpg

19302360058_685acfcc78_o.jpg

And the Chanterelles. Mostly smooth. I just picked enough for dinner. There were dozens, very small "I'll be back."

19303796819_de6718505d_o.jpg

Nice to see that you are on the chanterelles 4rum. Typically by now I've had my fill of chanterelles and looking forward to fall mushrooms. This year however has seen little rainfall and I'm thankful for the chanterelles I find. Two days ago I cooked a steak in a little olive oil in a pan. I removed the steak and threw in some chanterelles. After the chanterelles were cooked, I added some day old short grain rice and some butter. Honestly some of the best fried rice I've had. That's a nice looking bolete and chanterelles.

Love the photos! That bolete is very interesting. I don't recognize the species. But I think it's safe to say it belongs within the "Boletus edulis group"... ie. a King Bolete. So it's top-shelf material. Nice looking smooth chants.

John those thrown together meals are some of my favorites. Sounds like your mushrooms and rice would have been right down my alley.

Thanks for the kind comment on the photos Dave. It was pretty dark in the woods. I know what you mean on the ID. I spent hours in the Roody guide and I also have the Audobon guide. Neither were explicit on this particular specimen. I'm hoping to find more. I hunted a wide area around this one and didn't find any but we've had lots of rain. The next few days should be a good time to spend time in the woods.