ignicolor!

I think.......only three large enough to pick and photo. Photos taken last night in a rush before leaving. Shot back to this spot this morning to check on progress, if the moisture held out there should be fairly good numbers tonight as there were a slew of small buttons and visible primordia growing. It's not fallax, but I haven't found decent numbers of this in several years, so it's still pretty special. Not as special as my first trumpets will be, I'm trying to move slower and scan the lower lying washouts near the oaks/hardwoods as I was advised last year....hopefully soon?

Hopefully I'll have more pictures to post of a much larger haul tonight or tomorrow......also might be some cinnabars starting, but they were just tiny little orange/pink dots near surface oak roots.....could easily be any old small orange mushroom.

post-797-0-80926400-1436120851_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-82176200-1436122750_thumb.jpg

That's why it's just an "i think".....they're pretty dry in this photo.....they were a much darker yellow/orange while in the ground. Nothing big enough to pick....not sure if growth will continue. Signs of life though......if not ignicolor, any suggestions as to what it might be? As they've continued to air dry the pore surface has taken on a greyish hue and the top of the cap has gone somewhat pale yellow/brown. Don't think it's tubaeformis either though.

Dave

No significant growth but I did empty my water bottle on the spot yesterday and this managed to grow, so I watered again with significantly more water. I'm still leaning towards ignicolor, but I'm open to suggestion. I think the original three were just a bit dried out. These photos may change your mind, or at least, give you a better indication as to the actual species. Unfortunately, despite receiving the spotlight, this guy hasn't proven to be much of a performer.

post-797-0-60114800-1436272398_thumb.jpg

post-797-0-42990000-1436272402_thumb.jpg

Ignicolor makes sense to me. Actually, on my office computer monitor the color in the first post seems closer to what I'd expect for ignicolor than I first thought. Doesn't look like tubaeformis to me. There are a few other species names that have been applied to yellowish Craterellus/Cantharellus species. For instance.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5722~gid~~source~gallerydefault.asp

Here are some ignicor that my daughter found and picked last week. Not bad for a ten year old.You can see the slightly darker underside. I think what you picked are almost definitely the same. Sometimes when I find young specimens they are a lighter shade.

post-2-0-52497400-1436383543_thumb.jpg

There are. I picked those the same day. Is turning out to be a good year for summer mushrooms here. Got these yesterday in an area that usually is hit or miss. These are the first trumped I've founding years.

post-2-0-83249400-1436447641_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-28363900-1436447750_thumb.jpg

Here are two ignicolor side by side. You can see the difference in color. And our total haul from Harmony's spot from the other day. We found them about 100 yards from our house in the woods by our driveway.

post-2-0-86207800-1436488490_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-04656200-1436488593_thumb.jpg

The mushrooms in your 2nd to last pic look a little more like tubaeformis than ignicolor.......i'm far from an expert on the little chanterelles.....not too common for me in recent years.

I've conceded that the mushrooms from my first pics are drying out......hence the lighter off color....especially on the gill structure. There have been more growing, but nothing of edible size. Not even mature enough to spore.

You may be right. My guide is an old Audubon book, so I don't know any of the more recent namings of many mushrooms. They looked so similar that I assumed the name had been changed after all the new DNA classifications. I think I need to invest in a new guide.

The upside is, no matter which of us is right, you found some sweet edibles and that's awesome. Heck, if we classified human beings based on minor genetic variance, we'd be all be screwed. Most of us are edible.