Black trumpets?

I read that they really don't have any look-alikes, just wanted to make sure. They smell sooo goooood.

post-1017-0-20993900-1435678810_thumb.jpg

post-1017-0-33811800-1435678827_thumb.jpg

Yes, those are black trumpets. It looks like you might want to clean as you pick. I usually trim the bottom of the stem as I pick. It takes longer but I end up with nice clean mushrooms when I get home. They dry well and are a treat fresh. Nice find, there should be lots more in the same area.

Thanks John :) I looked closely around, couldn't find any more, maybe will be back in a day or two to check again.

I found these growing on moss, it gave some contrast, otherwise I'd definitely miss them.

Black Trumpets are mycorrhiozal with certain trees. In my area oak and beech seem best. But I've also found them in apparent association with some conifers. They do seem to like mossy areas, and open areas like paths through the woods. Today I found some nice ones on a mowed area with cedar near an oak wood border. Upon further inspection, I found a better little patch by a large oak about 15 feet in form the mowed area. The trumpets, and plenty of amanitas, were growing in the mowed area, apparently in association with the oak trees.

Trumpets and chanterelles are just getting started around here. The only summers when I see lots of trumpets are ones with lots of rainfall. So I think we're set up pretty well here in the mid-Atlantic. During a good summer it's possible to collect large quantities of black trumpets.

post-20-0-15801000-1435805177_thumb.jpg

No I never did a spore print Dave. As far as I can recall any staining, on upper surfaces, was white. From possible spores dropping in overlapping scenarios. Almost all the trumpets I found were when jump shooting ducks in beaver ponds, so see trumpets...fill pocket... then eat.

Went through my phone and never did take any pics. Also (every year was different due to temps/moisture etc) found huge hedgehogs, chickens (often on maple!) and various boletes, honeys, and hericiums. Was catering for a hunt camp, at the time, and the members loved the addition of local mushrooms, quite often served with the ducks we harvested.

Trumpets are popping in northern Allegheny County PA. Found 4 different spots today. Gonna dry most of them even though I haven't yet found a good way. Left a lot standing and a lot were past prime. Normally they have a lot of moisture and with all of the rain they are prime. Wow! one was about 4 inches across the face. PS have forgotten how to post photos, dumb ass, bobby b.

Black Trumpets dry pretty easily. If you have a south-facing attic window, and it's not too humid, then if you spread them out so that the sun get son them, they will almost dry completely. Once they are as dry as they will get from air drying, they may be finished in the oven, spread onto cookie sheets... 200F setting and after few minutes open the door to vent.