Photogenic Mushrooms

Okay, nothing poses for the camera quite like a morel. The pits and ridges trick my macro setting into a focal compromise that creates a 3-D effect.

post-20-0-33821600-1432951907_thumb.jpg

But there are so many beautiful mushrooms, many of them very small. Sometimes you don't notice until it's photographed and zoomed.

post-20-0-16881000-1432952173_thumb.jpg

Spotted these little gems today, on a lawn a few blocks from center-city Wilkes-Barre, PA.

post-20-0-28805200-1432952497_thumb.jpg

Very nice Dave. Maybe one day I'll talk myself into carrying my magnesium alloy Nikon 5-lb beast with me for a fungi hunt to finally make some nice photos of my own :)

I use a compact digital SONY camera, not an advanced piece of equipment. I just set to macro and snap a lot of shots, varying the distance and viewing angle. Like you say, 4rum, lighting conditions are important. I carry one of those canvas grocery bags filled with stuff I use in the field... plastic snap-together box for storing small specimens, soil thermometer, eyeglasses, paper bags for carrying large specimens or collections of edibles, white translucent photography umbrella for filtering light, and a homemade cardboard/foil reflector for throwing light onto the shadowy side of a subject. When I harvest a specimen I also snap photos in variously shaded areas. Dark-colored subjects often need more light and pale ones more shade. If I snap 200 photos on a foray, I generally name and move 20-30 into a permanent file.

One thing I read and it seems to work for me with the pocket, point and shoot digitals (I carry a Fuji AX350) is to back away a little from your subject and use the telephoto to zoom back in. It seems to work better than the macro setting. Experiment with distances and zoom.

Yes Dave, I should have added that. It helps with proportion. I think you'll be pleased with the detail retained as well. Also try your 'natural light' and of all things 'party' settings. They alter the shutter speed and can give dramatically better photos if you're able to hold the camera pretty still. If the stinging nettles aren't too bad, I'll often lay in the prone position and brace both elbows on the ground to get a shot.

Nice set of useful items! I was surprised not to see a mini tripod among them. I love tripods, I guess my hands are shaky as I rarely seem to capture thing in perfect focus, especially when using zoom.

Shaky hands are definitely a problem. I don't use tripod... probably should get a small one that fits into my bag. Or at least a bean-bag to help stabilize. Yeah 4rum, lying on the ground, bracing against a tree or a rock... Watch out for the poison ivy!

Another handy gadget easily made is a 'string pod'. Quarter inch by 20 threads per inch I think fits your tripod hole. Loop a piece of para cord to that and leave it plenty long. Both tails 5 or 6 feet. These then can be tied forming a large loop. Put your feet in there and spread them to form a triangle. Pull up on the camera with your elbows tucked to your sides. Just move your feet closer or farther apart til the level is right. You'll be surprised how much stability this provides. If you kneel you can do the same thing... just tie the loop shorter. This weighs almost nothing. Fits nicely into a pocket or pouch (or camera bag) and is there when you need it. It really does work!

An interesting mushroom. This type of Agaricus --I think the one seen here represents A. bitorquis-- usually fruits partly underground. You can see the stalk going down into the hole. A good edible, if you find it in an area that doesn't get treated with chemicals. Not very common around here, but a popular mushroom in western NA.

post-20-0-72500000-1433591922_thumb.jpg

I don't think Ischnoderma resinosum, which is a late-season mushroom that exudes droplets that are amber-tinged. The buttons of I. resinosum are generally larger. You can't tell from the photo, but this was quite small, less than 2 inches across.

Here's another nice one... from a few years back, very common. Marasmius rotula.

post-20-0-40680100-1433879819_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-21748700-1433879927_thumb.jpg

Ha! Guess what I found the other day... Ischnoderma resinosum. Mushrooms like to play tricks on people who think they've got the mushrooms figured out. Fairly photogenic.

post-20-0-52114400-1434416827_thumb.jpg

Some nice boletes I found yesterday.

Boletus subvelutipes

post-20-0-56359600-1434416647_thumb.jpg

Caloboletus inedulis

post-20-0-33875000-1434416703_thumb.jpg

Lecciinum... similar to the European species L. aurantiacum but likely different.

post-20-0-97188900-1434416754_thumb.jpg

Hemlock needles. The area was a stand of hemlock near a stream. Color on these photos was very close to true/natural. The Caloboletus inedulis is an eye-catching mushroom. There are actually a couple of other species that feature almost the same color scheme... Caloboletus roseipes and Boletus calopus.

Very nice. It's especially exciting to see Leccinums popping out! Can't wait to find some.