Dismal

Found a handful of whites yesterday. I'll use a very small skillet. All were dried out, no fresh morels at all and no blacks.

17365224561_83f0cbd883_o.jpg

Around 30 total and all pretty dried out as you can see from the brown on the stems.

17365220661_e5f6857442_o.jpg

These oysters were dry and leathery too.

17363637952_1c7e5933ae_o.jpg

I searched for three hours in my area and found about eight morels. I also found a couple caps that were dry, dark, brittle, had fallen off their stems, and were probably decomposing, so I probably missed out on some. But, this was my first hunt ever so I was pretty excited each time I spotted one. Then I read on some other forums that some folks picked a hundred pounds on the Elkhorn river and could have picked another three hundred. I was hoping to hit a jackpot like that. Gotta get off my but and try a few other places.

Dried out morels are better than none at all . I pick em all if big enough .

4rum that's not a bad haul there bud .. Last year I would have been happy as a lark to come home with that .

You aren't that far from me, so I am a bit surprised that you have dried out morels .

We have had plenty of rain .. The morels are heavy here . Uh, but getting buggy ... Found a centipede or millipede (didn't count the feet), and several

other undesirable bugs lately .. I guess a lil added protein wont hurt ! Lol !

I wish you luck, and keep us posted ..

Well it is better than the last two seasons. Last year I found 4, the year before that I found 12... in the same woods I used to harvest bushels. I have found 1 black. That really bothers me. I still think it's the weather however. In the crucial time when we needed warm nights it dipped into the 20's. It just shuts everything down. I may go out again this year but there's not enough out there to get me very excited. Hope there's boletes or chanterelles later.

It has been a really dry period in my neck of the woods too... found only three yellow morels this morning, also on the dry side-- enough for breakfast though! But earlier this week I came across a tree of Laetiporus sulphureus, 20 lbs of it in great condition. I have never found it in May, not even June! Maybe not as good as morels, but it's a nice surprise.