what are these shrums ?

well I was watching a show called (filthy riches ) on net-flex and saw a bunch of folks picking shrums and selling them.that blew my mind a bit so the next day I went out in my yard to see what I could find and sure enough low and behold I had shrums just laying there in my yard.don't have a clue what kind they are but they are beautiful little things

any one here know what kind they are and if you can eat them or not.

thanks guys

see pics below

mCPIGkG.jpg?1

S0HjbUF.jpg?1

Kv9XK5G.jpg?1

GRhY6qP.jpg?1

My first guess about these mushrooms is they may be a species of Lactarius... except for one prominently missing detail. I don't see any milky substance flowing from the gills or any other part of the mushroom. Some species of Lactarius don't exude much "latex", but usually you can find some if you use a knife to cut across the gills. If a liquid does not flow from the cut, then gently press a piece of paper onto the cut and then check to see if a wet spot had developed.

These look somewhat like Lactarius hygrophoroides. But with this type one generally sees plenty of white latex.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/lactarius_hygrophoroides.html

Lactarius mushrooms grow as result of a fungus that associates with roots of living trees. One finds them near trees.

Could be something else... possibly Cuphophyllus.

My first guess about these mushrooms is they may be a species of Lactarius... except for one prominently missing detail. I don't see any milky substance flowing from the gills or any other part of the mushroom. Some species of Lactarius don't exude much "latex", but usually you can find some if you use a knife to cut across the gills. If a liquid does not flow from the cut, then gently press a piece of paper onto the cut and then check to see if a wet spot had developed.

These look somewhat like Lactarius hygrophoroides. But with this type one generally sees plenty of white latex.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/lactarius_hygrophoroides.html

Lactarius mushrooms grow as result of a fungus that associates with roots of living trees. One finds them near trees.

Could be something else... possibly Cuphophyllus.

Thanks Dave

the tree root thing makes sense as my front yard has a live Oak alley and there is many many roots.its been raining like the dickens down here in Louisiana and I hear that's a good time to look for shrums

does anyone know if the chicken of the woods grows down here ?

I think I can remember seeing some that look like what the pics show of them on the internet growing in the woods out back our house .it would be fun to find some

Chicken Mushroom is a group of species of polypore with yellow, orange, pinkish color on top and yellow to whitish pores on the undersides. The eastern NA ones that grow on hardwood --primarily oak-- are edible for most people, but some are allergic to them. Chicken Mushrooms are all from the genus Laetiporus. One species, Laetiporus gilbertsonii var. pallidus, is reported as occurring primarily on the Gulf Coast. I can find little information about the physical appearance, but I assume it looks similar to species that I know up here in PA. It's likely that L. sulphureus --a species widespread in the eastern half of NA-- occurs in LA.