Morel teaser

Adawg

I just read a report on Chris Matherly's website that someone collected black morels in Fayette County, PA.

Way to go, Feral Boy! What have temperatures been like out there in Missouri?

Weekend of the 25th should be when they get started here in NE PA... as long as we don't get a hard freeze just beforehand.

Checked my best early-producing area today. No morels. Trees are still not showing buds ready to burst open. Soil temps between 49F and 53 F. A few plants staring to bloom. Here's some hepatica.

post-20-0-67615000-1429305723_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-20498100-1429305772_thumb.jpg

So they should be ready to start. Warm sunny day forecast tomorrow. I'll be back in my spot to check on Sunday. One good thing about hunting morels in a region where they are not real common... not much competition. This guy is my main morel hunting competition.

post-20-0-87189300-1429305895_thumb.jpg

I think we are right about there. Trees are finally turning green the last week and going crazy the last few days. We had a very wet winter this year with constant snow every few days with thaw between to keep the soil moist. I was cursing the ice and snow, but I think it kept a steady moisture content throughout the winter. Tomorrow will be my first day out in the woods. I normally get out to scout as soon as the first warm days arrive, but maybe this will be the big surprise we all wait for every year. Good luck everyone.

Went on a 5 hour hunt today, in the lower elevations of the Shenandoah Natl. Park . This an area where I have had early luck before . Nothing ..

I was in an area, that I was sure off the beaten track, probably 1 mile away from any public trail that I know of . But I was not alone even here .

Found 2 fresh banana peels thrown on the ground .. Uhg ..

Gave up, and came home .

We have a small farm here, so we don't have close neighbors, but a gent who lives about 200 feet from the end of our driveway was out weed eating, and found

5 nice morels on the side of the road !!!!!! Dunno .........

More teasers.

Urnula craterium (Devil's Urn, Black Tulip Fungus) usually appears about a week earlier than the black morels.

post-20-0-89857500-1429832747_thumb.jpg

Rue Anemone.

post-20-0-67139000-1429832809_thumb.jpg

No morels. Near record low temp forecast tonight. Looks like another bust year here for the black morels. Plenty of moisture in the ground. Looking forward to May.

Same thing here as far as blacks go ..But the greys and blonds are starting up .

I am on vacation from work, so have had a lil time to hunt . Found about 1 lb. today . But they were all far between and in small patches .

When I find one, I slow down and search every inch of ground . Seems like they don't like to grow alone ! Lol !

But I have found no blacks at all this year.... ????? I have some pics, but have not transferred to file yet, will post later .

It is 3 A.M. here, and getting ready to go crappie fishing .

Fried crappie and morel sauce !! Yummmmm !

Good luck all ..

I found a website --linked to NOAA-- that provides archives weather data for several locations in eastern NA. Not sure how to find additional locations. And he site is confusing to navigate. But I found local temperature and precipitation info for years 2000 to present. So I compared with my own black morel records.

http://www.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=bgm

Looks to me like the key ingredient is to get a prolonged warmup --a solid week or more-- beginning between April 8 and April 14. A few hot days seem to be good. The best black morel years included a few days in the 80s during the warm stretch. Of course, precipitation is important, but seemingly less so than temperature. A few of the really good years showed slightly below normal precip during the period in question. Conversely, a spell of cold weather during this early to mid April window seems to produce a major setback for the black morels. One year --2002-- was an excellent year with black morels starting very early here. The winter of 2001-2002 was very mild.

When the soil temperature comes up quickly at just the right time, Nature springs into gear with lots of emerging plants and budding trees occurring all at once. This is when the black morels seem to do best. We are currently experiencing a "dribs and drabs" occurrence of spring here in eastern NA. A few plants poke through the surface, and then take a week or more to further develop. The buds get thick on the trees but don't burst into greenery. The cold nights and cool days slow things down, the very things that seem to trigger the black morels.

So I think we're all just waiting for the right type of spring here in the Appalachians.

These are from an early morning hunt today in a newer spot I found . Elevation was 1040-1400 ft . Found morels all through that range

Kinda strange though, I found the bigger ones at higher elevations .

Blacks,greys and blondes same day, same general area .

About a dozen never made it into this pic., as they were confiscated for an omelet lunch before I could take the shot ! :hungry:

post-908-0-74048400-1430250512_thumb.jpg

The jelly fungus may be Tremella foliacea (Brown Witches Butter). But I think it's more likely to be Exidia recisa. Exidia species commonly occur early in the mushroom season.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/exidia_recisa.html

Tremella foliacea is a late summer/fall species that is usually found in the presence of Stereum (False Turkey Tail and other similarly thin fleshed shelf polypores).

Nice white trillium. Here in eastern PA I see a lot of purple ones, but not many white.

Nice to see some eastern NA morels, Adawg. With warm weather on the way next week they should be spreading northward.