Safety

Yosemite is beautiful. People said we were extremely lucky as in 3 days of being there we experienced two seasons. One day a 75-degree weather, sunny and all, and then it dropped to 37, and blizzard covered roads and rock face with snow, and even though they didn't let us drive in certain places without chains (I'm glad they didn't), the valley was stunningly beautiful.

I hear ya 4rum. Id love a 6mmrem, but don't reload so the necked down .308win is the next best in my opinion. I originally bought it for my son and he lost interest so I inherited it. Its a savage 111 that come with a scope and I was shooting 1/2 inch groups first time out with it. I bought one for my daughter last year that performed the same. Not bad for a reasonably priced rifle.

eat-bolete,

I was brought up with topo maps and a compass and even now still use the maps. I tend to rely on the sun too much, but an old trick is to point your watch with the sun centered between the hour of the day and 12:00 pm. Where ever the sun falls on the watch will be the same as a compass reading. For example if it is 8:00am then the sun should fall around 10 and the direction should be east by south east and 12 should be pointing south, 6 north, etc. I hope I explained that right. If you pay attention to the map going in and see which way the road you're parked on runs or which way streams may flow you can direct yourself back with this trick. If it gets cloudy , you need the compass. I believe there are compass apps that work with out a signal. I also use an app on my iPhone called GPS log-lite. You can drop pins, see what direction you are heading and mark places you may want to return to some day.

Here is NY states "Snakes of New York" page. I believe it includes maps of where each species can be found. http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administration_pdf/snakes.pdf

I hope you got some good pictures of them ancient trees while you were there. They look amazing.

Thanks dualsetters.

There seem to be no poisonous snakes on LI, I'm relieved.

As for iPhone apps, I did a quick research and basically it says that it is possible to locate you even where cell signal is non-existent, once the phone can connect to 3 satellites, but for that, maps need to be purchased and put on the phone beforehand.

Oh, and yes, sequoias were breathtaking, great experience, one can really appreciate the power of nature just standing next to it.

Here in Ohio, I wear a bell like mountain bikers do, cough often and talk loudly on my cell phone when the men with guns are in the same woods we share, sorry if I scare away the critters but that's better them go home without the guilt of involuntary manslaughter and nothing in the bag. I some times sing to make my presense noted, "This Land is you land, this land is my land." :hampsterdance:

The hunting season here in LI seems to be from October through February. Is it safe to assume that I'm not in danger of getting shot outside that season? Do you ever see any poachers in your area?

Poachers don't shoot people. They kill for selfish gain although I wouldn't approach an ivory poacher if I was in Africa . I don't have the statistics, but people who text and drive probably have killed more people this year than hunter's have or will ever kill. You're in more danger driving to the forest than you'll ever be running around in the woods in a fur jacket. I don't have the statistics, but there are something like 1000 hunting accidents a year in North America and around 100 deaths. How many of these are gun related I dont know, but many are heart attacks, falls and such. There are something like 50,000 biking accidents each year and around 700 deaths. I think the average on boating deaths is around 750 a year. Around 40,000 people die each year from auto accidents in the US alone.

I don't believe in statistics, probability usually works agsinst me :)) But anyway, whatever the odds are, it won't keep me from going to the woods, that's for sure, I'm way too addicted.

But I'll probably buy one of those reflective vests that construction workers wear, to be more visible...and I'll still sing...who knows, maybe someone will like it :)