Edible Winter Species

4rum

I researched a little and read that 'ear' mushrooms can be found year 'round in my area (Southern WV). I went out looking but didn't find any. The one that I'd found and identified earlier in the year was even gone. This leads me to ask, are there other edible species that I might look for through the winter. I also read that oysters may be found year 'round, though maybe not right where I'm located. I go out a lot. I may as well add foraging for mushrooms to my nature walks. Any input, information, help, tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

I'm doing a lot of reading online as well. Youtube is a great source of info but you MUST be careful because most of the info cannot be documented. Good entertainment though.

'rum

Late Fall Oysters, Sarcomyxa serotina (= Panellus serotinus) often persist into early winter. These are not as good Pleurotus (Oysters), but I think they are better than some reports suggest.

http://mushroomobserver.org/113550?q=2LWDZ

Flammulina velutipes is sometimes called the "Winter Mushroom" since it may occur during mid-winter thaws. I see it more often in spring, though; usually on dead elm wood. Make sure to distinguish it from the deadly Galerina marginata, which also occurs on wood during winter thaws. Spore print white for Flammulina.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/flammulina_velutipes.html

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/galerina_marginata.html

Also, sometimes I harvest Inonotus obliquus to make Chaga during the winter.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inonotus_obliquus

In southwestern BC and southward along the coast, Winter Chanterelles, AKA Yellowfoot and Craterellus tubaeformis, are very abundant right now and sometimes will continue to produce through the winter. I understand that they also occur in eastern North America but I don't see much discussion about them by easterners. Are they not as common in the east as in the west, or are they just not well known? They seem to be getting better known here because you can now find them for sale in farmer's markets, but I still don't have any competition when I'm collecting them.

Thank everyone for weighing in on this. It gives me some good research to do and something to look for. The only thing I've seen fresh lately is some very small red amanitas. Not sure of the genus. I'm also looking for stands of spruce and hemlock to start searching for boletes next season.

>: ( grrrrrrrrr .... took pics of what I believe to be 'Witches Butter', a jelly 'ear' fungus yesterday and some tiny, tiny yellow spike fungus coming up through heavy moss. I was at the old place, no internet, and forgot to load them to a thumb drive. I'll get the files the next time I'm down there and get some pics posted.

Here's the pics. I retrieved 'em yesterday from the 'puter at the old place.

Jelly. Color was even better on the live fungus. This thing was beautiful!

AfaRvmy.jpg

Tiny, bright yellow and just beautiful poking up through the heavy moss. Don't have a clue unless some type of 'staghorn'.

iOzAFor.jpg

T9PR5dr.jpg

bw78mBf.jpg

Nice photos, 'rum. The first looks like Witch's Butter (Tremella mesenterica), but I would not completely rule out Exidia. Looks like its on wood from a deciduous tree, which would rule out Dacrymyces.

Are those small club-like mushrooms (jellies?) growing on wood? If so, then I think maybe a species of Dacrymyces. Interesting. I'll do a little checking/research later.

Dave the little yellow 'club' like mushrooms seem to be growing in soil. There's a bunch of them growing from moss, but some are at the edge between moss and dirt. I did find a staghorn species that looks like them doing a search online. The color is really bright yellow. They are so pretty.

The jelly is growing on a small elm.