Beautuful Amanita Muscaria

4rum

Is this an inside mushroom joke? Amanita muscaria var. guessowii?

I have a picture of a very similiar mushroom as the one posted above that does have and the picture shows the bulbuos very well. Problem is I'm struggle figuring out how to post a picture of the proper size?

I'm in southern West Virginia. This specimen was found in some black pines along the river bottom on New River. I found fresh new ones coming up there today. I'll get pics up when I get them out of the camera. The one pictured did have a pronounced bulb at the base of the stem. I did not dig it up.

If found in West Virginia var. something needs to be apllied as A. muscaria is European species much like B. edulis technically.

Scott, Boletus edulis, true edulis is here in the US. I showed you the tree of all the boletes and the CA and MT edulis are right next to each other with the European edulis. My thinking was Var. Guessowii which I posted above, but still need to see more info. It sure is pretty though!

The pics from today are not great. (wrong camera) But is there any thing I can do, document or info I can provide about this little patch of mushrooms? They are not far from home, I can pull, dig or pluck one. I can make better photos and I can do a spore print if it will help.

Cool mushroom for sure! I wish I could post mine so you could compare. Is there some easy way of doing that? My first try was too big of a file and the forum deleated it - and rightly so. My example of this mushroom has just a bit more white crinkles on it I think. Southern Virginia and Washington State are a long ways apart.

natvik Lokness;

I use a free image editor (Irfanview) to size all my photos. Then I host them on a free host. From that host, I copy the direct image url. I then paste it here in the message box and it appears as a photo uses very little of the site's bandwidth.

There are many free image hosts. I have free accounts with PostImage, Imgur, Blue Melon, Mediafire, Photobucket and I recently opened an account at Flickr. They just recently bumped storage for free accounts to one terabyte. That's a bunch. I also like that Flickr DOES NOT compress my photos. This means better quality images are posted to message boards. I still size them before hosting them. I plan to obtain software and begin shooting, storing RAW image files. They are huge, but the quality is really good.

There is a site you may be able to use called eHow. Go there and search 'hosting images' then 'posting images to a message board'. eHow will give you step by step instructions. You can print them then check each step off as you do it. It only takes once or twice and you'll be posting like a pro! :)

Still struggling for anyone willing to give advice. I decreased the size of the file and while they looked to be an appropriate size on the "Reply to this topic" page ........when I pushed "Post" I was given the following message; Not allowed to use that file extension on this community". I tried a couple of different file types and either received the quoted message or it did not accept the file at all. Is there a specific file type I should be using?

natvik Lokness, the extension you need is probably jpg or bmp, both can be created with simply Paint software that comes with Windows, no need to complicate things. Open your file with Paint and save as .jpg

Watch this incredible film about reindeer herders in Siberia and their ritual use of A. muscaria. Apparently, the reindeer eat them as well, so it's not surprising that deer here in America also eat them. So I'm not misunderstood, I'm not recommending that anyone try them. http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/2443/Pegtymel