Trying to Identify

KennyJ500

As I was leaving for work today I noticed this group growing on an old stump by my driveway here in Magnolia, Texas near Houston. I haven't done a spore print yet but my first guess looking at my book is in the Hygrophori family namely the Hygrophous coccineus. Anybody know if I'm close or have an opinion on what they are? Thanks in advance!

post-746-0-77294700-1414517088_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-64414200-1414517128_thumb.jpg

Doubt they are Hygrophorus/Hygrocybe. These types do not occur in large clusters. Also, these appear to be growing from the wood. Hygrophorus species are all terrestrial.

Is the cap color seen in the photo true to form? I'm wondering if there's too much red in the photo.

Seeing the undersides would be helpful.

Dave,

These things really took off and changed overnight! I think your assessment may be right in the Armillaria family in looking at other pics on the web. I'm just not sure of the exact species but pics below for your id. It appears the spore print is white based on the one pic with spores on the cap below. Thanks for the help!

post-746-0-17170500-1414594280_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-66934000-1414594281_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-96181100-1414594282_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-04011700-1414594284_thumb.jpg

post-746-0-04209300-1414594285_thumb.jpg

A. tabescens is the only North American species I know that lacks a ring on the stalk. Locally, we mostly find ringed types. A very popular edible here, where the traditional preparation begins with par-boiling. Some people are sensitive to these types of mushrooms. Of the three people I have met who were sickened by these, none had par-boiled. If you choose to try them, sampling a small amount that is very well-cooked is recommended.