Hello all my fellow foragers !!!

CajunShroomer3578

I would like to start by thanking administration for allowing me to become a member. Oh wait, I probably should have told y'all my name first. Daniel here folks...... Born and raised in South Louisiana I've always enjoyed the great outdoors. Up until just recently, like most people, I've always overlooked mushrooms growing in the wild due to my lack of knowledge of them. Now I can't past a oak tree without looking for a hen of the woods or a cluster of chanterelles !!! Last few months I been doing some exstinsive research to find mushroom clubs or something of that nature to help me get started but fail to do so. Seems to me there aren't as many Cajuns as I thought there would be interested in foraging for mushrooms. Anyways I'll wrap this up cause I'll go on for days. Look forward to possibly meeting people in my area who share the same intrest and getting good feedback from my fellow foragers. Thanks again !!

I'm from southern LA as well and am also experiencing the same situation. So far I've only found the Gulf Coast Mycological Society as far as groups go in our area. They are going on a foray near Beaumont Tx in early Nov. might want to check them out. I'm sure they know more about what's going on in our area. I've been finding a decent amount of what I think are chanterelles and oyster mushrooms in the atchafalaya basin lately, though I still have some confusion on IDing. And I've also just learned that morels can be found in tunica hills in march, a place just north of Baton Rouge. I was surprised to find that out. Anyway, good luck. I know it's hard getting started around here.

Cool another south louisianan !! I thought for a while it was the only crazy Cajun foraging wild mushrooms. Yea that was the only site I found for clubs in the gulf region. I was actually thinking of going meet up with them on that foray near Beaumont in November. Not quite sure yet. And about the chanterelles and oysters ..... That's two species that were aren't lacking here in south LA. I'm actually from a little town near the basin but currently live in Lafayette. I have yet to make it there to forage. I've actually found many chanterelles and oysters in the middle of Lafayette !! Thanks for the reply.