Some observations on finding lactarius indigo.

Most of the lactarius indigo I find do not come up right after the rain. The better one that I've found have come up when most of the other mushrooms that came up right after the rain have started drying up or turning to mush. Also they seem to like dryer ground such as ridge tops or near the top of a slope. And lastly at least in eastern N.C. they seem to be associated with oaks. I hope this is helpful to those looking for this sometimes elusive but easily identified edible mushroom.

John I agree regarding the dry and I find the same with lobsters as well, it may take a week after the last rain to trigger decent fruitings as a general rule. Here in Ohio, L. indigo is a pine associate at leat as far as my finds go.

I did read that in the more western part of their range, L. Indigo is a pine associate, but the ones I have been finding here in eastern N.C. are associated with oak. It is interesting to me that many people may be looking for this species too soon after the rain.

High and dry here as well however the vast majority of Indigo I've found has been under conifers. I've also noticed that fruiting does not occur often, with several rains going by between fruiting. most indigo I've found has been in early fall with rains and then 3-4 days of above average temps in the 20C range.

We have had 2 fruitings with cool spells in July in consecutive years in the pines my friend takes me too hrere in Ohio, then a late fall fruiting as well, much like this years G.frondosa season. Early small fruiting in August and now full on hen of the woods season, nearly 100 pounds total for me in 5 outings which also fruited during a very dry September time frame. The only fungi out there practically in the woods I walk here in W/C Ohio.

I have about a dozen depenadable trees and seem to find new ones for hens each year, I was hoping to visit my friend Sunday and see her pine stand to look for L. indigo but she is ill again. Poor thing has been fighting Chrons for years and it flared up again. Did manage to find quite a few E. abortivum now that we have had rain. Thanks for the chat, John!

I'm still hoping to find my first L. indigo. Got a lead from a discussion here about an area an hour south of where I live. Maybe next year. From what I have heard indigo occurs in PA/NJ in mixed oak/pine woods. Sounds like a good idea to check both oak and pine woods. I didn't know about the high-and-dry thing. That kind of habitat is available around here, but during the August/September time frame I often don't walk those areas. Oak species tend to mix around here. But pines don't. Any particular type of pine that associates with indigo?

Dave, I don't know the scientific name but we find them in the long needle, 3-5 needle per bunch, "white" pines. Luckily my friend has access to a reserve where there is a huge old school stand planted right outside a major ciy in central Ohio which is where I gather mine. Decent eating but really make for some nice photos an slightly undercooked with sliced red peppers, white onions I made red white and blue food. Cooked they generally turned greenish especially in egg, like H. lactiflorum turns your egg whites pink/purple. :thumbsup:

Thanks Scott. The pine with long needles in bunches of 5 sounds like White Pine. This is the most common pine in our area. There's at least a dozen on my 4-acre property. You would think L. indigo should be something easily found around here... with so much of our woods featuring White Pine and various species of oak.

You are most welcome Dave and thank you for all the help you offer on this site, the only one I can access from work and love this place. Yes, you would think but thry grow where they grow, i was lucky.