Sulfur Shelf?

Ryo

First of all, allow my to introduce myself as this is my first post. I hail from the Pacific Northwest, in a suburb of Vancouver, BC. I'm a beginner picker and haven't really expanded my repertoire from king boletes and white chanterelles. That said, I've been taking lots of pictures of most mushrooms I find, for the ID'ing exercise. I look forward to being a part of the community.

I was out grouse hunting today and came across this shelf. I believe it is a sulfur shelf, however it does not have the light margin, and isn't as swollen as most pictures I've seen. Hmmm...

Thanks in advance for your help!

post-873-0-55431600-1411174408_thumb.jpg

post-873-0-96558200-1411174467_thumb.jpg

That looks like one to me, although I'm not one of the experts here. In my experiences the thin ones are not worth keeping yet I hear some cut the first inch or so from the outer edge.

How were the birds holding today?

Our grouse season doesn't open for a month yet. My dogs old , but has a little left in him and I'm anxious to hit the woods.

Thanks all!

Grouse hunting was a bust - just one bird, which I was too slow to even get a shot at. Apparently it's not a plentiful year in my area (but that is no excuse foe my poor hunting skills). Alas, I went looking for one chicken of the woods, but came out with another!

The Sulphur shelf starts out as a rounded mass that expands horizontally and flattens vertically. Your specimen has probably expanded as much as it can. The best ones for eating are still rounded at the outer edge.

Thank you for this additional, an very useful information vitog, and for your warning Dave. I cooked up a small sample last night and my wife and I both tried it with our supper. Neither of us experienced any ill effects over night, but neither of us loved it either. It took the rabbit stock that i cooked it in really well, but the actual mushroom flavour was kind of underwheming, like a raw supemarket button mushroom. But maybe it's just because these were following an amazing Bolete pizza...

I'll keep my eye open for a younger specimen, and try again!

post-873-0-10986800-1411227380_thumb.jpg

Thanks all!

Grouse hunting was a bust - just one bird, which I was too slow to even get a shot at. Apparently it's not a plentiful year in my area (but that is no excuse foe my poor hunting skills). Alas, I went looking for one chicken of the woods, but came out with another!

Try up by Merrit. Two hours up the coke and completely new world. Lots of roads, old slash, lakes, marshes etc. Normaly drier than the coast with different mushrooms and generally ruffies, spruce and blue grouse. Stuck in Ontario but make it out to Gods country every Thanksgiving. Harass some salmon and run into the interior for a couple days to chase birds/shrooms.

Oh you Canadian boys are spoiled ! Grouse and salmon lol

It's been dead around here for a few years now. I don't think bird numbers or fishing will ever be the same. It was a good time to take up mushroom hunting.

My Canadian grouse and woodcock experiences were in NB in and around Frazier land. It was pretty incredible.