Hen of the woods?

bluisana

Hey Everyone,

I seem to have mushrooms poping up all over the place now that we have had so much rain. I am an amatuer blacksmith and one of my old anvil stands has mushrooms poping out of it everywhere!

They look like hen of the woods but I am still doing some research on them and a spore print is in process.

post-843-0-29493200-1410190477_thumb.jpg

Yeah,

I built a new stand this winter when that one started to wobble a little bit. That one has just been used a shelf to hold tools and such while forging. The never ending torential down pour is still going on here and I think my yard is going to be filled with mushrooms :).

The spore print for one of these seems to be white and it only really showed up around the outside edge of the mushroom. It is sort of like felt on the top of the mushroom and feels like tough leather now that is has dried for a day.

post-843-0-28171500-1410218665_thumb.jpg

post-843-0-18496900-1410218679_thumb.jpg

Hey Dave,

These are velvety to the touch and feel like a matt of small hairs. I ruled out Trametes Hirsuta because of the color. From everything I have read they are supposed to be white or greyish. These don' t have any grey in the color (the camera I used didn't pick up their color very well).

In the photos the mushrooms look grayish to me. Mushroom Expert says the color of T. hirusta varies from gray to whitish to brownish, with margin brownish to brown or blackish. The one in the photo has a whitish margin, which seems to lead away from T. hirusta. According to Mushroom Observer, T. versicolor also has a fuzzy/velvety cap surface. So I think the Turkey Tail ID may be on target. I suspect that T. hirsuta has longer hairs... but honestly, I need to go back to school on this one. I think T. hirsuta may also be a bit thicker-fleshed.