Armillaria tabescens and mellea, Central NC

coastwx

I take a walk around the yard yesterday morning and mother nature surprised with my first Armillaria. This A. tabescens was growing off the roots of old oak that we cut down years ago. Then, while cooking sausage on the deck 3 other clusters of A. tabescens were growing off the roots of pin oak that we cut down several years ago. Unfortunately, only the first cluster was fresh.

After finding so many in the yard, I had to check out the oak stands at my main spot. It was not disappointing. Although we've had little if any rain for 7-10 days, clusters of both A. tabescens and A. mellea were in every part of the park that had oaks. I suspect all of central NC has these delirious fungi growing right now. Did not find any massive clusters, but my hunt was much shorter than normal. Plan to revisit today. Also found a big oyster flush, but left as they were just past prime.

Oysters on a down poplar

post-664-0-86266100-1409575871_thumb.jpg

Prime A. tabescens found in the yard just outside the garden.

post-664-0-41849000-1409575909_thumb.jpg

First A. mellea. Some old, but a few younger ones that were cooked last night.

post-664-0-66250000-1409575883_thumb.jpg

Another cluster
post-664-0-47816600-1409575899_thumb.jpg

Thanks... I've found a HDR (assume high definition record) setting on the phone that seems to take much clearer pictures. John, they were great tasting. Outside of lions mane I believe these honey mushrooms have been my favorite. Nice firm texture even after long cook and that rich earthy classic mushroom taste. I cooked for 30-45 min in tin foil on the grill along with a mixture of peppers, onions and tomatoes from the garden. Made sure to lighly sample. No stomach issues so ate the rest last night. My wife had a sample as well with no issues and she has a weak stomach.

I think you are correct about the temperature trigger, Coastwx. And, although it may have been recently dry in NC, I believe you have had a very wet summer. Such conditions often carry a good summer season right into the fall. Conversely, a very dry summer often leads to poor fall mushroom hunting. After a drought, it takes several significant rain events to get things going.

Thanks for the informative response Dave. Our wet summer has re-emerged after short break. A large area around Raleigh including our home got 6 inches + yesterday. This weekend the longer range models are showing cool air that will drop low temps into the mid 50's with highs in the upper 70's. My shitake logs are turning white now with a couple that popped out early late last week including one suprise Hericium (guess one got mixed up in the shitake plugs) noticed on Sunday. Hopefully I'll have some nice pictures this weekend. I suspect this weekend will be good for hunting :-)

Had to follow up after this last 7 day precip was explored this morning. Our house and many of my mushroom spots are located within the black square. Our home is at the center of the square. Our rain gauge failed, but a neighbor said his 6 inch max overflowed. He said his pond hit overflow for the second time ever. Right at 10 inches over the last week!

post-664-0-87070600-1410286111_thumb.png