Hericium Coralloides.......

brianf

First time finding any species of hericium. Found h.coralloides this morning. Looking forward to dinner tonight.

Very seriously thinking about obtaining permission from the conservation council to head in with a chain saw and cut that bad boy up into a few four foot lengths.

It would look good growing in my basement, though it's going to be quite a battle getting them out of these woods without any form of path or trail.

Anyone have any experience with these? Are they considered as good as lion's mane or bear's head?

post-797-0-33621200-1409500842_thumb.jpgpost-797-0-19638100-1409500847_thumb.jpg

Im not sure on the lion's mane, but I personally refer to all 3 as such . Just an easy reference. H. coralloides would be considered a comb tooth I believe. Bears head tooth refers to H. americanum .

My favorite mushrooms, I personally like the taste and texture. They are also medicinal through ingestion and at one time were considered by the chinese to be brain food and considered the emperor's mushroom.

Coast, many thanks...i'm not sure if this or the porcini was more exciting for me. Based on size, these bad boys grew during a very cool period. So keep checking, hopefully with the coming cooling, you'll have some luck. But I don't know much about hericium as it's new to me. I'm going to colonize some mycelium from my cutaways, so hopefully my understanding of this mushroom will continue to rapidly grow.