a good first foray in the US

Cedric

Found this in the woods by my company's office. Pretty sure of the first two but happy to be corrected. A great start.

Sparassis crispa

Lactarius indigo

Stinkhorn

And then a few new ones for me.

post-816-0-22407100-1408501333_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-59165800-1408501442_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-25671600-1408501514_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-41091200-1408501559_thumb.jpg

post-816-0-57945900-1408501592_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the upside down... This was an upload from my cell phone and that is also the reason I was very short in my post... Can't get the hang of typing on the screen and it takes me ages to get it more or less right...

Regarding the bolete. It had a bitter taste in the taste test, with yellow stipe, tubes and cap. Colour did not change upon cutting.

I just got my first books yesterday, so from now on will explore further before posting... Yesterday was a 20 minutes foray next to the office after work, and before a 2 hour drive home, so really not much time to explore further. I saw loads of other mushrooms, a number of coral types, at least 5 different bolets and suillus, some violet Cortinarius and a black trumpet, but did not have time to delve much. Took some pics that I will now study further. Truth is I was flabbergasted: so many types in such a small area and in such little time, and no competition....

I was especially happy about the Lactarius Indigo. I had read about it in Europe several times so immediately identified it... I am not very fond of the lactarius in general and don't expect this one to be any better than the Lactarius Deliciosus, L. Quieticolor, L. Sanguifluus and their varieties, but it is so beautiful!

Thanks for your advice about just walking a trail in a park, that is exactly what I did.

Cheers,

well old, blown out bi-color boletes can sometimes have a similar look to that one in the fifth picture.....lose all redish properties aside from some slight grainyness on the cap and stalk. if you have access to that one still take a whiff. if you get a slightly almost pina colada scent, it's likely a bi-color. if it just smells like your outside it could very well be ornatipes. no matter what, that one's looking pretty old and maybe not so edible.....bi-colors can also have reticulation on the stem as the variation subreticulitis, which i recently found a hoard of.

both the ornatipes and subreticultis can be found in pictures in earlier stages in my older posts if that helps to compare.

Thanks all, next time I find boletes, I will take the time to make a cut, taste and smell taste as well as look for reticulate on the stem and any other characteristics. There are so many new boletes here...